Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Here is a nice photo of Ray and his basement...

Hey - I've been in that basement! And I don't take the honour for granted either.

It still looks pretty much the same too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a nice photo of Ray and his basement, circa 1985...

Nice photie, jkt, and one I've never seen before. Whenever I see shots like this, or photos from Ray's old office (the one featured in the Ray Bradbury Theater opening credits), I'm reminded of a passage from Let's All Kill Constance, where the narrator and Crumley go wandering through catacombs made from piles of old newspapers. Let's see, how does it go? Oh yes:

It was a moment, I later said, like Lord Carnarvon opening Tut's tomb in 1922. All those ancient headlines, those obituary piles, that led to what? More news stacks and more beyond. Crumley and I sidled through with hardly enough space for bellies or behinds.

"God," I whispered, "if ever a real earthquake hit—"

"It did!" came a voice from far down the stacked tunnel of print. A mummy cried. "Kicked the stacks! Almost pancaked me!"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Here is a nice photo of Ray and his basement...

Hey -I've been in that basement! And I don't take the honour for granted either.

You better not! I wanted down there BAD but saw only the main floor!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
You better not! I wanted down there BAD but saw only the main floor!

I didn't make it down the first time, or even the second, but eventually I was permitted to slink down and have an exploratory look around. In fact, it was when Donn was down digging around for stuff - it's magnificent!

To see Mr Albright sifting thru Ray's basement stacks looking for that next great collection is quite a literary thrill.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'll have to be sure to go when Donn's there.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do! Usually October (a rare month for boys), and May.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This may be a dumb question but I have been on here somewhat haphazardly of late due to my busy schedule so if it is a repeat, please excuse, does Ray still write everyday? If so, has he written anything lately that he is excited about or is working on?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a general rule, Ray writes just about every day, between breakfast and lunch. He is not limited to that time frame either. I've been with him when all of a sudden he'll ask for a pen and paper. He'll jot down a few notes, as reminders. But, a short story has just come to him, fully formed, in that instant.

There are a few projects Ray is working on that he is very excited about but this is not the place to discuss them. (sorry)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, no, I understand fully and that is very exciting that he is still working and has excitement regarding current projects. That is wonderful & thanks John!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read somewhere that the average Joe who puts in some 400 full days on a certain project or talent (that's 400, 24hr days), is comparable to a gifted prodigy in the same field. Ray still writing everyday certainly ranks him way up there in the high competence of genius.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray usually talks about projects near completion--that is, when a new book or play is coming out.

posted Hide Post
Anyone watching the return of the TV game show yesterday the 13th, 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' with Regis, would have noticed this question: What famous author is buried in Tarzana, California? And one of the 4 choices was...Ray Bradbury.

The fellow didn't know and had to use a life line.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
What famous author is buried in Tarzana, California? And one of the 4 choices was...Ray Bradbury.

Edgar R Burroughs? (Who can say "obvious"?)

Ray has signed at the Tarzana library on more than one occasion, but so far as I know, he is not buried there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This just in, available NOW, Leviathan 99 radio drama...only $20.

Dear Friend of California Artists Radio Theatre,

It is with great pleasure that we announce the availability of Ray Bradbury's LEVIATHAN 99 in both MP3 and CD formats!

This original space epic was presented by CART at a tribute to Ray Bradbury and Norman Corwin on May 3rd, 2009 at the Writers Guild of America Theatre in Beverly Hills, and stars Sean Astin, William Shatner, Norman Lloyd, Samantha Eggar, Richard Herd, Walter Koenig, H.M. Wynant, Sky McDougall and Robert Legionaire.

In addition to the full program (complete with music by Kenneth Stange and sound effects by Tony Palermo), we have also made available the two pre-performance speeches by Mr. Corwin and Mr. Bradbury.

If you were fortunate enough to attend this landmark event in person, or even if you weren't, we hope you'll find this tribute program a moving and enjoyable experience.

Please visit www.CARTaudio.org

Best Wishes,
California Artists Radio Theatre

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This just in, available NOW, Leviathan 99 radio drama...only $20.

Just in time to keep me out of prison! I was just two days ago talking with a friend who shall be unnamed, who was offering me a comp copy of a bootleg of the show (with the prohibited added video!)

Maybe I'll still take her up on it.

"Live Forever!"