Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just ordered LEVIATHAN 99 on CD. Thank you.

Downloaded A BRADBURY BINARY some time ago. Its outstanding.

CART also has dramas of stories from THE OCTOBER COUNTRY and the story ANY FRIEND OF NICHOLAS NICKELBY IS A FRIEND OF MINE. Havn't heard those as yet.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Miscellaneous Topic:

Deaths from the mayhem in the streets in War in Iraq as of August 12, 2009, protecting the United States interests:

Deaths during last 3 years of mayhem in the streets and murders in the United States:
Aprox. 120,000

Deaths in the United States in the last 3 years because of cancer related causes due to smoking of legal cigarettes:
Aprox. 1,800,000

Civilization sounds more deadly than War, at least in the War in Iraq.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Ray has signed at the Tarzana library on more than one occasion, but so far as I know, he is not buried there!

He says he wants to be buried on Mars, which may be more difficult to arrange.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

dandelion~ You left out something that is even MORE difficult: Ray said he wanted to be buried on
Mars in a Campbell's Tomato Soup can.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: Those are sobering facts. I don't remember the details, of the breakdown, but in 2005, it is reported that there were 32,637 suicides in the U.S. (http://www.suicide.org/suicide-statistics.html#2005) Compare that to the number of Americans killed in the entire Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Bradbury touches on this dramatically in F451, of course, where Mildred has no real reason to live. Her whole life is superficial and carries no meaning beyond trifles. In some cases, Modernism creates an interesting side effect. As it is in F451, the number of persons in our society finding suicide as a viable alternative to their lives is really sad.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Bradbury once made a similar statistical point during the Vietnam war, when he pointed out that more people died on American roads than in that war.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
This just in, available NOW, Leviathan 99 radio drama...only $20....

jkt, thanks for the tip-off. I'm pleased but amazed that they have put together a commercial release this quickly. I will be ordering immediately.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Tarkas:
...CART also has dramas of stories from THE OCTOBER COUNTRY and the story ANY FRIEND OF NICHOLAS NICKELBY IS A FRIEND OF MINE. Havn't heard those as yet.

Brother T, I have all of the previous CART releases of Bradbury material, and they are all excellent. They are generally well staged, well performed dramas, with little or no reliance on special effects.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Why is this person, Fred, ranked the number #9 on all internet traffic? Why does he have way over 100,000,000 hits on YOUTUBE and millions of subscribers? Why? Why?

FRED GOES CAMPING:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ayList&p=jperELMj7bQ

FRED GOES TO THE DENTIST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7TM87ksDI

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Why? Why?

Because he talks funny. People are easily amused, aren't they?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Because he talks funny. People are easily amused, aren't they?

OH, it's more complicated than that. The kid known as Fred is 16 years old. He speaks directly to the pre-teen and the mid teenager. It's an age-cultural thing. Your comment means you are OLD! Take a good look. Here is your future. Then again, he probably has a leg up on Jerry Lewis, who probably wasn't as crazy at 16. Or maybe he was. But then we never know. Now with YOUTUBE, you at least know what Fred is like. Techno advancement, heh?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is some bio. info. on the artists doing Ray's next two graphic novels.

Artist Ron Wemberly is working on Something Wicked This Way Comes and artist Dennis Calero is working on adapting The Martian Chronicles.

Ronald "D-Pi" Wimberly is a Brooklyn-based comic book artist who's worked on Vertigo's "Swamp Thing," "Deadman" and the award-winning graphic novel, "Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm." Last year, Wimberly was hired as an extra for Spike Lee's new film "Miracle at St. Anna."

Wiki stuff on Calero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Calero

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

dandelion~ You left out something that is even MORE difficult: Ray said he wanted to be buried on
Mars in a Campbell's Tomato Soup can.

Cremated, or in a casket built like one?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
...this place must have every DVD ever created.

Here's Ray's Theater DVD set:

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/48557N.html