Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Lake:
Do you have a date for the prom yet?

I'm not going. Don't know how to dance.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

This one was an actual election.

But an actual President?? His initial swearing-in was incorrect and sharp attorneys would have shown this to be an invalid Presidency. So there was a second swearing- in. But the second swearing in was done in secret so to say: no cameras, no media, no reporters of any kind. Also, no Bible was used in the second swearing-in. So what gives? Is this truly a legitimate President?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
His initial swearing-in was incorrect and sharp attorneys would have shown this to be an invalid Presidency.

I don't know whether to take that seriously or not. Surely you know the swearing-in is a formality, and he actually became President at noon (during the classical piece).

Further, I'm sure you noticed that Chief Justice flubbed the words, and Barack patiently waited for him to correct it before continuing, almost certainly having memorised it beforehand.

Sure, you knew all that - you were just having sport with me!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spualding, sport? Sport?

Tell me, then, why did they do a second swearing in?

And what makes you think that Barack Obama became President at Noon. It ain't automatic. Has there been times when the United states had no President.? Yes. In fact, once, it was for a full 32 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office_of_the_Pres...of_the_United_States

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It ain't automatic.

Confusing, is it not? However, I understand it thus: That the 20th Amendment states that the terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Sport.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Lake:
Do you have a date for the prom yet?

I'm not going. Don't know how to dance.

Let ME teach you!

http://www.amazon.com/Tinkerbell-Dance-Studio-Step-Step/dp/B000J10F1O

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Let ME teach you!

Thank you kind faerie, and I'm sure you got some bad moves, but hip-hop is not really my thang.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
They did a second swearing-in because of an internet rumor that the presidency was not valid due to the slight transposition of words in the first one. If cameras were not allowed, how do you know no Bible was used? Pictures of it appeared on the news, so someone must have had a camera.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1400 unfortunate souls stuck in a tunnel during the swearing-in were the Margots of this event. A number of other ticket holders were actually turned away within walking distance, a few blocks from the area.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We do know that those silly words at the end of the swearing in ceremony are not in the constitution, "so help me god." Look it up. If one wishes to be picky one could say that every oath of office that has those four silly words are invalid.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
We do know that those silly words at the end of the swearing in ceremony are not in the constitution, "so help me god."

Uh-oh!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We do know that those silly words at the end of the swearing in ceremony are not in the constitution, "so help me god."

Uh-oh!

OK, maybe superfluous would have been a better word to use. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Superfluous is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, there you go. They make fun of God by giving him a small letter "g' and calling a term referencing him as 'silly'. Now a phrase referencing God is superfluous. It's a mighty fine fine, very fine line one must walk if they figure on being civil in many parties working together.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, there you go. They make fun of God by giving him a small letter "g' and calling a term referencing him as 'silly'. Now a phrase referencing God is superfluous. It's a mighty fine fine, very fine line one must walk if they figure on being civil in many parties working together.

Does not a lower-case g more properly allow for any deity, as opposed to a specific deity if one were to use an upper-case G? Are we not a nation of freedom of religion, allowing for all beliefs? As far as superfluous, any phrase tacked on at the end of (topic at hand) the oath of office not superfluous? Would not, “the next round is on me” not also be superfluous? Being, too, that it is not in the Constitution?

John King Tarpinian