Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE END OF THE WORLD!
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE END OF THE WORLD!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
(Windex, windex...quick! And some paper towels!)

I was a kid of maybe 10 when we first traveled to Florida. We visited a wharf near Pompano Beach where fishing boats were coming in. Wide-eyed, I watched an Old Salt tending to matters and cutting up recently caught fish. He was throwing some of the trimmings to the pelicans that flocked about.

He looked right at me and said, "It fattens 'em up, boy! Then, when they're not lookin', I'll grab one by the neck (he made a twisting motion) and make me some pelican pie for dinner!"

I, defer to our friend biplane! Was he pulling my leg or is there such an avian delicacy. Mmmm... I sure hope so after all of these years of it weighing on my mind. (Sniggle!)

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp,

I don't know about pelican pie, but when Braling II says that British people eat Penguins he is referring to the chocolate covered biscuit rather than the antarctic aquatic fowl.

Say, Braling II, rather than sending Mrs Braling to Manchester to stock up on PG Tips, have you thought of using a site like this one?

Doug Spaulding, you correctly identified Michael Bentine as a Goon. I wonder how you knew this. Maybe Goonism was covered in your theological studies. Many British people worship The Goons (alas, all deceased now).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, yeah! I was a bit tongue in cheek on that last one, though the old timer (he had both of his eyes and no wooden leg, btw) episode was as accurate as could be recalled after all these years.

But this shed some new light on the chances of finding such a slice of said pie in the dessert bar at Starbuck's. Give it a read:
http://www.puzzlechoice.com/pc/Pelican_puzzlx.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, thanks for the link! Looks like a good source. We can get some things fairly locally at a high price from a Britsh shop or two, but the wife goes over to visit her Mum, you see. Going again in March!

By the way, here's a Goons-British-Foods Tie-in:
Spike Milligan loved Battenberg Cakes.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...chocolate covered biscuit rather than the antarctic aquatic fowl.

I like the way the British call cookies 'biscuits'.

Fowl is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...rather than the antarctic aquatic fowl.

March of the Penguins was one of the best pictures from last year.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...rather than sending Mrs Braling to Manchester to stock up on PG Tips, have you thought of using a site like this one?

I searched the site, but simply could not find any Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug Spaulding, you correctly identified Michael Bentine as a Goon. I wonder how you knew this. Maybe Goonism was covered in your theological studies.

Goon Sellers bled over into the Americas rather well, so I am acquainted thus.

Alas no, the seminary was remiss in dwelling on The Goons throughout my "God Studies"!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...but the wife goes over to visit her Mum, you see.

I like the way the British call their mothers 'mum'. I do the same for my mum.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I like the way the British call cookies 'biscuits'.

I like the way Popeye's serves Chicken and Biscuits. Mmmmm. (But we have to travel to the US to taste them, as we don't have Popeye's over here.)

Actually, we use the word "cookie" as well, to refer to a particular type of biscuit.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I searched the site, but simply could not find any Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

Then you shoud try this site.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ah, PG Tips, my favorite Tea, and anythnig from Sri Lanka (Ceylon) which I occasionally get from a friend with contacts in that country.

Ask for tea in any restaurant over here, and you usually get Lipton's, and not the good stuff, the scrapings off of the floor kind. If it wasn't for that nutty King George, we would all be having Tea. Cheerio!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our pet peeve regarding tea served here in restaurants is not necessarily the quality of the tea itself, but that it is invariably served thusly: a pot of hottish water and a teabag on the side!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figure all that tea in Boston harbour must be just about brewed by now, it's been there for over two hundred years.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Stan Freberg, "know anybody who can read harbours?"