Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    HALLOWEEN TREE poster "QUIZ" (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
HALLOWEEN TREE poster "QUIZ"
 Login/Join

by Nard Kordell (created on )Gallery | Comments 
• The first person to answer the MOST questions in the QUIZ gets this poster depicting a moment in Ray Bradbury's 'The Halloween Tree'  The QUIZ WILL REMAIN ONLINE FOR TEN DAYS OR UNTIL SOMEONE GETS ALL THE ANSWERS CORRECTLY •

Poster is Number #77 of 84 total printed in 2 colors, gold and dark red, on heavy textured very dark green paper stock. Poster measures about 17" x 21". Best seen in morning light, or perhaps you would prefer Pumpkin candlelight. (Read the heading on the poster). Ray Bradbury signed the poster in silver ink.

ALL THE MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS will be posted later tonight, October 15, 2007 on this forum. LOOK BACK LATER TONIGHT in the 'Comments' section of this Forum!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~~~~~~~~~Q....U...I....Z~~~~~~~~~~

• THIRTEEN MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS •

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE FIRST TEN QUESTIONS ARE RELATED TO PUBLISHED PASSAGES from a Ray Bradbury story. From the multiple choices that are given, you need to correctly identify what story the passage is taken.

THE LAST THREE QUESTIONS REFER TO stories where Ray Bradbury mentions something about the Bible. You have to correctly identify what reference to the Bible is most appropriate from multiple choices available.

THIS QUIZ GOES ONLINE 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. (USA) on October 15, 2007. And runs until October 25, 2007, at 11:59PM, one minute before midnight, Eastern Standard Time. The time you post your answers will be the criterion for figuring out who first came up with the most answers. If someone comes up with ALL the correct answers first, the QUIZ ends and we have a winner! Poster will be sent out immediately in a sturdy mailing tube, hopefully in time for Halloween.
==============================================

~QUESTION NUMBER 1~
'The body squirmed in an agony of time. It was forty, then fifty, then sixty years old. It was seventy, eighty, one hundred years.'

a/ The Black Ferris
b/ The Tombling Day
c/ Something Wicked This Way Comes
d/ The Coffin
e/ Touched with Fire
f/ There Was an Old Woman

a/ The Gift
b/ The Picasso Summer
c/ The Smile
d/ The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
e/ The Illustrated Woman
f/ The Illustrated Man

'And then here and there through the years we had met like people brushing in a crowd, like lovers across the aisle and strangers on a train, and with the whistle crying the quick next stop touched hands or allowed our bodies to be bruised together by the crowd cramming out as the doors flung wide, then, impelled, no more touch, no word, nothing for years.'

a/ Forever and the Earth
b/ Chrysalis
c/ The Haunting of the New
d/ The Silent Town
e/ The Town Where No One Got Off
f/ The Crowd

a/ The Inspired Chicken Motel
b/ The Long Rain
c/ I Sing the Body Electric (the story)
d/ Punishment Without Crime
e/ Marionettes, Inc.
f/ A Medicine for Melancholy (the story)
'Then they began to look like all those old guys. So, what you have is old men with young guys trapped inside them. Some year soon, maybe, their skin will crack and the old men will let the old young men out.'

a/ Tomorrow's Child
b/ The Parrot Who Met Papa
c/ Farewell Summer (the novel)
d/ McGillagee's Brat
e/ The Rocket Man
f/ The Man in the Rorschach Shirt

a/ A Sound of Thunder
b/ And the Sailor, Home from the Sea
c/ The April Witch
d/ The Dragon
e/ The Million-Year Picnic
f/ The Wilderness
'And he marched about the house turning off the voice clocks, the stoves, the heaters, the shoe shiners, the shoe lacers, the body scrubbers and swabbers and massagers, and every other machine he could put his hand to. The house was full of dead bodies, it seemed. It felt like a mechanical cemetery.'

a/ The Veldt
b/ The Silent Towns
c/ The Last Night of the World
d/ Powerhouse
e/ There Will Come Soft Rains
f/ The Time of Going Away
'His wife started to talk swiftly. She named a lot of things and she talked about a lot more, but before she got very far he cut gently across her talking. "I know, I know, the kids and school, our car, I know," he said. "And bills and money and credit. But what about that farm Dad left us? Why can't we move there, away from cities?"

a/ The Scythe
b/ The Shore Line at Sunset
c/ The Garbage Collector
d/ The Leave-Taking
e/ The Great Wide World Over There
f/ En La Noche
'On this particular evening he began his journey in a westerly direction, toward the hidden sea. There was a good crystral frost in the air; it cut the nose and made the lungs blaze like a Christmas tree inside; you could feel the cold light going on and off, all the branches filled with invisible snow.'

a/ Hail and Farewell
b/ The Million-Year Picnic
c/ Fahrenheit 451
d/ The Last Night of the World
e/ Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed
f/ The Pedestrian
"Well," said the captain, reluctant to go. He stood as if waiting for something. He looked like a child staring at an empty Christmas tree. "Well," he said again, "Come on, men."

a/ The Exiles
b/ The Gift
c/ Mars is Heaven
d/ The Earth Men
e/ R is for Rocket (the story)
f/ The Homecoming

~QUESTION 11~
In the novel Fahrenheit 451, which one of these Bible verses is used by Ray Bradbury in the text of the story:
A passage from:
a/ Revelation, chapter 22
b/ Ephesians, Chapter 1
c/ Proverbs 16
d/ Does not say

a/ Phillipians chapter 3, verses 6-8
b/ Peter, chapter 4, verses 17-18
c/ 1st Corinthians chapter 6, verse 3
d/ Does not say

On his way in the suction train to see Faber, Montag is traveling with a Bible that is open. What Bible passage would most likely fit the circumstances surrounding this event in the story:
a/ Isaiah chapter 53, vs. 3-9
b/ Matthew chapter 6, verses 28-29 ••answer
c/ Acts, chapter 27, verses 18-26
d/ John chapter 3, verse 16

================================================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
~QUESTION NUMBER 1~

a/ The Black Ferris

d/ The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit

c/ The Haunting of the New
~QUESTION NUMBER 5~

c/ Farewell Summer (the novel)

e/ The Million-Year Picnic

a/ The Veldt

c/ The Garbage Collector

f/ The Pedestrian

d/ The Earth Men

~QUESTION 11~
c/ Proverbs 16

d/ Does not say

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, great job on this!
I'm really impressed with the research you've done in order to present this.
The Oz-man (I'm assuming all his answers are correct) put a much quicker end to this than I thought.
Of course, the obvious flaw as regards answering is that, once the answers are actually posted, everyone can see them and claim them as their own. Maybe next time get them emailed and then announce the winner?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SORRY!

However, I will knock one question out, since the answer cannot be directly found in the story. That's Question number #13. The answer is a personal assessment based on one's knowledge of scripture. With the other two Bible-related questions, the answers can be found directly in the reading of Bradbury's work. Therefore, the answer to #13 is 'b', Matthew, chapter 6, verses 28-29.

Nonetheless, oz-crumley did not answer all the questions correctly. But since he is the first to submit answers, he is the leader at this time with correct answers.

posted Hide Post
OK.
For Question 11, how about a/ Revelation 22:2, AND Ecclesiastes 3:1? (Not one of your choices, but I'm pretty sure it's there.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

You have to answer ALL the questions correctly, not just guess at one question.

posted Hide Post
Rats. I'm at work and don't have access to my books.
I could answer these (I'm sure about 7 of the first 10),
but I won't really get to them all til tomorrow night, and it sounds like there's a first-come, first served aspect to this, no?

posted Hide Post
Braling II:

The person who correctly answers ALL the questions 'first', gets the poster... and the QUIZ ends!

In the meantime, I will not let known how many wrong or how many right anyone has. If no one gets ALL the answers by the end of 10 days... the one that had the MOST answers first (by the date of their post)...gets the poster.

posted Hide Post
quote:
...That's Question number #13. The answer is a personal assessment based on one's knowledge of scripture. With the other two Bible-related questions, the answers can be found directly in the reading of Bradbury's work. Therefore, the answer to #13 is 'b', Matthew, chapter 6, verses 28-29.

Nard, what led you to have second thoughts about this question? Were the other answers equally valid? Although I'm not a scriptural person, I would be interested to know what your reading of this scene is. (I'm always curious about any hidden depths in a Bradbury text.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PHIL:
I dropped only Question #13 because it may prove unfairly difficult. The other, #11 and #12 can be found in the Bradbury text. So it's there for anyone to locate.

But here's the exact passage in 'Fahrenheit 451'...pertaining to Question #13:

(note: By the way, I noticed that in the '4th line from the bottom of this reading' of 'Fahrenheit 451' (from my edition of the 40th Anniversary)...the word used is "worlds". Don't have another edition handy, but shouldn't that word be "words"?)
Montag, in the 'Fahrenheit 451' passage concerning Question #13:

• Once as a child he had sat upon a yellow dune by the sea in the middle of the blue and hot summer day, trying to fill a sieve with sand, because some cruel cousin had said, "Fill this sieve and you'll get a dime!" And the faster he poured, the faster it sifted through with a hot whispering. His hands were tired, the sand was boiling, the sieve was emptry. Seated there in the middle of July, without a sound, he felt the tears move down his cheeks.

Now as the vacuum-underground rushed him through the dead cellars of town, jolting him, he remembered the terrible logic of that sieve, and he looked down and saw that he was carrying the Bible open. There were people in the suction train but he held the book in his hands and the silly thought came to him, if you read fast and read all, maybe some of the sand will stay in the sieve. But he read and the worlds fell through, and he thought, in a few hours, there will be Beatty, and here will be me handing this over, so no phrase must escape me, each line must be memorized. I will myself do it. •

THE IDEA OF THE CORRECT choice had to do with what would be the best answer-choice one could make to properly reflect upon when reading the described event in "Fahrenheit 451".

For instance, choosing a/ Isaiah chapter 53, vs 3-9... had to do with an Old Testament prophecy concerning the existence of Jesus Christ some 800 years in the future. c/ Acts, chapter 27, verses 18-26... had to do with how the lives aboard a ship destined to be wrecked by a storm, were saved when an angel appeared to Paul, the apostle, in the night, and reassured him of final safety of the lives aboard. And d/ John, chapter 3, verse 16... talks about Jesus sent by God to save people, not condemn them. But the passage in the Fahrenheit piece with Montag and the seemingly loss of all things thru that sieve, as well as the unsettling inability to hold onto anything, favors b/ Matthew, chapter 6, verses 28-29. That reads: ""And why worry about your clothes? Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are."" That verse lifts Montag from the need to gather sand in the sieve. As in scripture, it is God who has to put the meaning into your heart and mind, and not by as person hurriedly trying to memorize the verses and passages. The last sentence in that Fahrenheit 451 passage nails it: "I will myself do it".

posted Hide Post
Submitted for your approval:

1. The Tombling Day
2. The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
3. The Haunting of the New
4. Punishment Without Crime
5. Farewell Summer (novel)
6. A Sound of Thunder
7. The Veldt
8. The Garbage Collector
9. The Pedestrian
10. The Earthmen
11. Revelation 22
12. Does not say

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Well, the QUIZ 'almost' lasted 24 hrs. But...The QUIZ is OVER!!!

•• DOUG SPAULDING is THE WINNER ••
as the first to post a PERFECT SCORE!!

oz-crumley...you were so close! Sorry I don't have a smaller poster to send ya!

DOUGLAS!
Likely I have your address somewheres, but email it to:

catchaway@comcast.net

posted Hide Post
Rats!
I just didn't have time. Been gone since 6:00 AM, got home after 11:00 PM.
And, for what it's worth, I would've used wet sand.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...But here's the exact passage in 'Fahrenheit 451'...pertaining to Question #13:...

Thanks, Nard. I don't think I would have got that one correct! I think you're right about the typo (words/worlds), but it's one of those typos that can just about work either way, which is perhaps why it slipped through, although "words" makes much more sense in that context.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post