Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    short story - help find please

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short story - help find please
 Login/Join

posted
Several years ago I read a Ray Bradbury story
about a fashion shoot in an impoverished third world country. A model and photographer ask a little boy to stand next to the model to give
the photo "local color." A man comes along
and insists that they pay the boy. They object
and the man lectures them on using the
community and people as mere backdrop and props
for this fashion magazine shoot.
I don't remember the title but it might have been in the same anthology with the short story
"The Skeleton" (or "Skeleton) -- one of my favorite Bradbury stories. I would appreciate any help finding this story and its title.
Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Sun and Shadow" originally appeared in 1953 and was printed in "The Golden Apples of the Sun," "The Vintage Bradbury," and probably one or more of the recent hardcovers and paperbacks. It was also one of the better "Ray Bradbury Theater" dramatizations.

It was inspired by an actual photo layout Bradbury saw in a fashion magazine sometime prior to that. I'm sure we'd all be interested should the original ever turn up.

Personally the one that really enraged me as far as using poor third world people, not just as "local color," appeared in LIFE magazine also around the 1950s. It showed the reaction of a young boy in a Latin country to his dog being hauled off by the dogcatcher. It turned out that the dog didn't have the disease for which the animals were being rounded up, but the boy didn't have the money to pay for its release, so , the reporter wrote, "it was gassed with the others." I'm so sure, that photographer made hundreds of dollars selling the poor boy's story to LIFE magazine and he couldn't afford two bucks to bail his dog out of the pound! Only a few steps away from the photographer waiting for the vulture to pick off the starving African girl! It makes one feel like hauling THEM to the dogcatcher's!

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shocking. Like the attitude implicit in the reservation-visiting tourist's question,
"How much is that necklace you're wearing?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better than just stealing it, but not by much.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post