Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Race issues: desparately looking for story title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race issues: desparately looking for story title
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I think (thought) this story was in the Twice 22 collection (my favorite), but suddenly I can't find it, or at least, can't match the story I remember to a title. Can anyone help me?

The black population of Earth has been emigrated to Mars, and life is just fine. But, back on Earth, the way things are has continued, and now the remnants of the white population of Earth are on their way to Mars. And now, the dark-skinned Martians are faced with the decision of how to express their majority in population, in power. How to share their home on Mars with the last of their former oppressors on Earth. If they even choose to share it at all.

It is a wonderful powerful story about redemption and mercy. But, I can't remember the title. Anybody?

Posts: 3 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Derrick:
Hi,

I think (thought) this story was in the Twice 22 collection (my favorite), but suddenly I can't find it, or at least, can't match the story I remember to a title. Can anyone help me?

The black population of Earth has been emigrated to Mars, and life is just fine. But, back on Earth, the way things are has continued, and now the remnants of the white population of Earth are on their way to Mars. And now, the dark-skinned Martians are faced with the decision of how to express their majority in population, in power. How to share their home on Mars with the last of their former oppressors on Earth. If they even choose to share it at all.

It is a wonderful powerful story about redemption and mercy. But, I can't remember the title. Anybody?

The Oher Foot might be the story you are looking for.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Oher Foot

Thank you, that's it. From Illustrated Man, not Twice 22. You are a prince among men!

-- rob

Posts: 3 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some may considered The Other Foot to be the sequel to Way in the Middle of the Air . A third story you may enjoy is The Big Black and White Game.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Some may considered The Other Foot to be the sequel to Way in the Middle of the Air . A third story you may enjoy is The Big Black and White Game.

I love The Big Black and White Game. The other, I've never read (I don't think), but I know the song that the line is from, or at least, a cousin of the original source, Ezekial Saw the Wheel. It is also interesting that for years I loved The Golden Apples of the Sun before I ultimately learned the source, The Song of Wandering Aengus, by Yeats. Ray's erudition was fantastic.

posted Hide Post
Go forth and read, Way in the Middle of the Air. I think Toby is a great character of Ray's and I hope you do, too.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Go forth and read, Way in the Middle of the Air.

It's one of my favourite stories.

Oher is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironic: I posted the Yeats poem from G.A.O.T.S. collection ~ https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...901/m/1341046901/p/5
As for Big Black and White Game, I make it a point to read this story aloud to my classes.

Try it some time ~ poetic social comment, long before even the classic comments made by Harper Lee in 1960 with her perfect Mockingbird.

(Several years ago I posted my thoughts on the parallels of Mockingbird and Dandelion Wine, not racially but culturally. Think: siblings, small town, coming of age, terrors, magic, walks on paths - some joyfully others that threaten young lives, etc., etc!!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, it's "the other foot". get it? as in "the shoe is on--" i know, im belaboring the point, but i like to revel in really good titles for stories, books, film.

the best ive heard recently is "let the right one in" a foreign vampire film of all things.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post