Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fog Horn
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me information on the use of the name McDunn in The Fog Horn. That is my maiden name and it's unique. I of course wonder whether Mr Bradbury met one of my relatives who may have inspired/repelled him.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 24 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, I guess it is. http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames/Mc There's not a MacDunn here, either.

Of course, there is a MacDuff in Shakespeare's "MacBeth."

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: I appreciate the assistance, the name is spelled McDunn, not MacDunn. If that helps you any. The character in THE FOG HORN is named McDunn as well. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 24 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a boy I used to walk about a mile from my home in Santa Monica, CA down to the Sant Monica pier and fish off the very end of it, sitting on the top of a piling. When the fog would come rolling in suddenly, the fog horn on the end of the pier would start to bellow: Beeee Ohooooo. From this sound I am sure Ray took the inspiration for his story of the same name. You couldn't stay under that horn when it started to bellow, it was just too loud. I know I share this inspiration with Ray, having experienced that horn many times as I was growing up.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
"Fog Horn" - LIVES!

Only if they found the fossils at 20,000 fathoms!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post