Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Picasso Summer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Picasso Summer
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Partial credit to Spaulding for mentioning the name Don Siegel, although this is only PART of the answer for Smithee.

Well, everyone knows that after the Siegel incident, the name was used for all who wanted their name removed. I assumed that was assumed. Bradbury used Douglas Spaulding before this happened in 1969. By the way, on the copy he gave me to duplicate, it had his real name on it.

quote:
A point for Bird-Ellison, although I should push you to give first names as well as surnames.

Harlan.

quote:
Nothing for not knowing Fazak. (And a point deducted from philnic for the misspelling. It's supposed to be Vazak.

Aha! You confused me with the misspelling. There goes Edinburgh! Now I'll never meet Jo Rowling!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...Now I'll never meet Jo Rowling!

Yeah, you will. She's a big name in Hollywood these days.

Full marks for Smithee. Just one clarification, it's a pseudonym generally adopted by DIRECTORS rather than writers.

Full marks for Harlan Jay Ellison.

I'll put you out of your misery for Vazak. It's a pseudonym used by screenwriter Robert Towne of Chinatown fame. I think he used it on Greystoke. Vazak was the name of his dog.

In all cases, the names are/were used to express dissatisfaction with the finished film.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Just one clarification, it's a pseudonym generally adopted by DIRECTORS rather than writers.

I knew that. What was I thinking!?

I shall deduct one point from myself for sheer stupidity!

Arggghhh!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shall deduct one point from myself for sheer stupidity!

Arggghhh!

In that case, you have just enough points to make it to a place 3 miles off the coast of Scotland. You will have to swim the rest of the way. Arggghhh indeed!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I was hoping to at least get as far as the Mull of Kintyre.

Then I could thumb a ride with Sir Paul on his Rover!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks!

I was hoping to at least get as far as the Mull of Kintyre.

Then I could thumb a ride with Sir Paul on his Rover!

Don't forget to visit Cumbernaud for some Irn-Bru:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone with a interest in the trials and tribulations involved in the filming of THE PICASSO SUMMER, the not-so-good movie made from Ray Bradbury's wonderful short story, "In A Season of Calm Weather", should check out the 1979 book RESURRECTION IN CANNES: THE MAKING OF 'THE PICASSO SUMMER", by producer Wes Herschensohn. The book is long out-of-print, but copies can likely be found on the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE), eBay or Amazon.

And while I have previously posted the following on-line link to a fine article about the film before, I thought I would re-post it for any newcomers to the Board. The article is "LIGHTS! CAMERA! PICASSO! ...and Me" by artist Sandra Sallin, whose husband was involved in the making of the film. Just click on the link below.

https://www.apartfrommyart.com...mer-making-the-movie

Posts: 2477 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Continuing with the film, THE PICASSO SUMMER, there are a few good things in it. First, there is an animated sequence, using Picasso's art as the basis for the animation. That sequence can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUh9vIJd4E&t=205s

And, in my opinion, the best thing about the film is Michel Legrand's wonderful score, which became the basis for the beautiful song "Summer Me, Winter Me":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8pTP_x99zU

Posts: 2477 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post