Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    August 2002: Night Meeting

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August 2002: Night Meeting
 Login/Join

posted
Since it is now August 2002, I feel compelled to quote from the Martian Chronicles:

"The night was dark. The moons had gone down. Starlight twinkled on the empty highway where now there was not a sound, no car, no person, nothing. And it remained that way all the rest of the cool dark night."

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes...but that is from an early edition of Martian Chronicles. Later year on new revised editions, alas!
Same month? I don't have a copy at hand.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"There was smell of Time in the air tonight. He smiled and turned the fancy in his mind. There was a thought. What did Time smell like? Like dust and clocks and people."

posted Hide Post
I gave away my last new edition of Martian Chronicles but I remember the years (that is to say, the Chronicles ) beginning around 2018-2020 or thereabouts, vs. 1999 in older editions.
Whose got a new editon and an old edition out there, at the same time, to compare?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

posted Hide Post

"And, going further, what did Time look like? Time looked like snow dropping silently into a black room or it looked like a silent film in an ancient theater, one hundred billion faces falling like those New Year balloons, down and down into nothing."