Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The movie differed somewhat from the novel. For example, Clarisse survives throughout the film and accompanies Montag when he leaves the city, and the role played by Faber is reduced significantly, appearing only briefly in one scene as an old man asleep on a park bench. Bradbury has said that Truffaut "captured the soul and essence of the book," although he disliked the double omission of Faber and the Mechanical Hound.

François Truffaut spoke virtually no English, but co-wrote the screenplay with Jean-Louis Ricard. Truffaut expressed disappointment with the often stilted and unnatural English-language dialogue. He was much happier with the version which was dubbed into French.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...but Bernard Herrmann's music was superb!
Mr. Bradbury always weeps watching the last scene. I get a little misty myself, Dobe.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hundred years from now and Braling II is in a clockwork snooze in his chair, a burned out pipe in one hand, a good book in his lap and a drink on the table.

“Braling II, it’s 4:51 and time for your winding, Sir.”

The great head rises a little from its snooze and the eyes flutter. “451? Yes, but the music was superb!”

Yup. Uncle Bernie did a great job on that one.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hee, hee! Love it!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I don't plan to read this book http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/09/28/horror-hu...dle-eastern-gem.html myself, some may find it worthy of a place on the shelf next to F451.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit is a good word?

But look quick, webmaster will have it fixed soon (I would hope).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here a classic video that screams of the future painted by RB in F451:

(Allow credits to play out on the screen, and then the "Obsolete Man" episode will be introduced, 27min. total play time)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3373518456113083897

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS: "Farenheit 451 is the temperture at which books burn!"

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Temperture is a good word?

The Obsolete Man used to be my favourite episode, until I realized that I couldn't pick just one.

George told me his favourite is The Howling Man.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Among a number of great choices of TZ episodes.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark927:
DO you think the message of farenheit 451 is that book burning is bad or not knowing books is bad?

Its not just about book burning being bad. Farenheit shows that if we don't have books, we don't have knowledge, and without knowledge we are easily controlled. The "government" or whatever controls life in the book Farenheit 451 doesn't want any free thinking to come about, because free thinking causes change, it causes up roar, it causes people to be "unhappy". They are trying to make sure that no one person knows more than another, because that could make some people "unhappy". Its all about keeping everyone the same.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 is also about self-censorship. We allow rstriction of thought and ideas to come upon us gradually in order to reduce or eliminate conflict, doubt, sadness, and fear. But the reality of life is that these are what give us texture as individuals. While things like the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" are government-imposed threats to free speech; we are at risk from our own laziness and pragmatism. We read less and less for pure enjoyment. When we read, we read for utility (this criticism does not apply to all, of course).

We need alternate voices in our lives and in our thinking in order to have increased texture, multiple perspectives, and understanding in our lives. But reading also stretches your imagination--and that is a lot of what Ray does. He sparks the imagination. But he transcends that also, in that he often touches our hearts. He touches on quasi-religious themes and ideas (and on truly religious ideas and sentiments and feelings). He makes us understand the absurd (Try "The Skeleton" and "Tomorrow's Child" for starters).

Anyway, we need to worry about self-censorhip. We reject whatever doesn't agree with what we already [think] we know. If we know everything, there is no growth.

F451 is the book, back in 9th grade (1969 for me), that turned me on to ideas. When I read F451, it lit a fire in me and helped me come alive to a completely unknown world--scifi, fantasy, literature, theology, religion, philosophy, poetry, etc. This all opened up to me because F451 set me afire. Thank you, Ray!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark927:
Do you think the message of Fahrenheit 451 is that book burning is bad or not knowing books is bad?

The message is to watch out that we don't stop reading of our own choice!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The book people would approve of these - I think!
http://www.coverbrowser.com/
(Be sure to click on "MORE"!)

Of course...!
http://www.coverbrowser.com/se...q=ray+bradbury&name=

Classics to be passed on in words and images!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The message is to watch out that we don't stop reading of our own choice!

May I use this line on she-who-must-be-obeyed when another vintage Playboy comes in the mail, since I am only buying them because of Ray's articles/stories? Big Grin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post