Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    oh,just another 'is this a Bradbury' question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oh,just another 'is this a Bradbury' question
 Login/Join

posted
Read this about 10 years ago,and was reading a bit of Ray Bradbury at the time..but am having trouble finding it again. There are big panes of glass which slow down the light passing through them,they are stood out on a hillside so that so that when someones buys and installs them in a house they show 10 years worth of mountain scenery or whatever. The plot I cannot recall... just this 'slow glass' concept. Can anyone help?Would love to say I dreamt it...but I'm not that good! :}

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another "Not by Bradbury." The best place for getting these answered has been at Google Groups. I had a special thread for them, but the way I access the groups the "Post a reply" option disappears after 30 days and I don't want to start another thread. When I can get someone there to bump it up, I'll submit these several latest.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This answer comes from jent by way of the Abebooks.com BookSleuth Forum:

Dear bluey , regarding slow glass...most certainly The Light Of Other Days by Bob Shaw. If you check in the S.F. postings from a few months ago�there was quite a discussion on this. There are a couple of stories. You didn't dream it!! Click on the tiny little cross in the box beside the Science Fiction heading, or try a search with "slow glass" or Bob Shaw". Enjoy.

Jen in Melbourne

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the url to the discussion jent cited: http://forums.abebooks.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=abesleuthcom&msg=493.1

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 12-27-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Info coming out last couple weeks says science may have in fact gotten closer to something akin to 'slow glass'. The ability to become invisible seems to be in the mix also. Scientists (is it in Europe?) successfully 'stopped' light.

I usually save the newspapers, but during the Holidays they get thrown out. Anyone know more about this?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: I remember reading this and being fascinated at the idea, but I have not kept any clippings, either. I remember being amazed that people could "stop" light, and remember wondering if that has an impact on time. Too bad I'm not a writer. This would be a fun idea to play with.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's "Light of Other Days", by Bob Shaw. You'll find it in Nebula Award Stories 2 or online in the archives of SCIFI.com.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post