Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Need help finding a story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a story
 Login/Join

posted
I remember a story (one of Ray's "straight" fiction) about a boy on holiday, meeting another boy and having a fantastic time. When it comes to an end he realises he's never going to see him again.

What was the title?

Posts: 2 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: 12 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
70% Bradbury, 30% not Bradbury.

Any more details?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also sounds a bit like Dahl doesn't it?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of that story (title slips my mind right now)...about the boy who never grows older, stays a kid, and is 'handed down' one family to another thru the years. It seems to end something like "hornstreet" describes. Maybe?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, the story you're thinking of is "Hail and Farewell", but I don't think that's the story hornstreet is looking for.

It MIGHT be "John Huff's Leavetaking" (part of Dandelion Wine), which is sometimes published as a short story called either "illuminations" or "Statues" (I can never remember which).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one where a boy meets another boy who is part of a roving band of gypsies; they fall into the grass; the sweet scent of the other boy's breath makes the first boy dizzy with friendship, longing and other feelings. The gypsy boy urges his new friend, "Quick! We must hurry and have all the fun we can now, because I will be moving on soon, and we will never see each other again." And he does.

??
It will take some searching for me to find the name of that story; I got it on here now in case someone else recognizes it.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought John Huff too, Phil... gypsies - NOT!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the story dragonfly describes sounds like Bradbury's "The Better Part of Wisdom" from Long After Midnight.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it - "The Better Part of Wisdom".

Thanks everybody!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: 12 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha!

You're welcome!

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha indeed! I had thought of "The Better Part of Wisdom", but was thinking of it as a story about an old man and a younger man (grandfather/grandson or uncle/nephew). I was forgetting that the old man reminisces about an incident in his youth - which is the very incident hornstreet described.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post