Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Hot summer, cool drink...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot summer, cool drink...
 Login/Join

posted
I read a short story many years ago, I'm not even sure if it's one of Ray's! It's about a man in a city on a sweltering hot summers day who feels compelled to enter a shop. While in there, the woman behind the counter offers him a cool drink (lemonade?) in exchange for his soul; the woman tells him that if he takes the drink his life will change for the better, but at the cost stated. Initially the man refuses and leaves. Later, after much thought he decides to go through with the 'transaction'. On returning to the shop, he finds that it is shut and is filled with regret for not taking the drink while he could. Can anyone tell me the name of this story and where I can find it?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 28 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've no idea what the answer is. But I couldn't help thinking of this moment from the classic British movie Ice Cold in Alex!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite the answer I was expecting, but this British beer add from not so long ago will have you welling up inside!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...04tM&feature=related

(Very reminiscent of 'Lost' I thought.)

posted Hide Post
No time to check, but is it "Drink Entire, Against the Madness of Crowds"?
I know the plot, forget the title.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
No time to check, but is it "Drink Entire, Against the Madness of Crowds"?
I know the plot, forget the title.

I think you are correct, BII. "Drink Entire..." can be found in just one Bradbury volume, Long After Midnight.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent the last few hours searching in my attic for the paperback copy of 'Long After Midnight'. I knew I had it, somewhere. Eventually I found it, in the last box, right at the bottom; Bantam Books 1978. I finished 'rereading' the story 'Drink Entire: Against the Madness of Crowds' a short while ago. Can I say "Thank You!" to Brayling II and Philnic for helping me to rediscover a story that for some reason means a lot to me; both in the past as a teenager and now as a middle aged man.

posted Hide Post
You're welcome. And how appropriate that you found it in an attic - a very Bradburyan place!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
How ironic!!
I just stopped by for a few minutes to see what was up here...
just before I go up into the "attic" to get some stuff for an Aug. trip West.

(Good to hear from Rocket and Viktoria of late, also.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, was it a scent of sarsaparilla that drew you to the attic? Step out through the window, and it's a whole other world out there...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Another one of the great short tales!

Glad I could help, Mike!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post