Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for Story Title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Story Title
 Login/Join

posted
All,
I'm looking for a story that I was sure was written by RB. I thought it was called, "Short Stacks" or "Tall Stacks" but could find it listed.
The story deals with a man who moves to the desert I think, and builds a house under the sand then errects several tall cylinders that allow him to get water and power his home.
Can anybody lead me in the right direction?
VR/
Tony

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
98% not Bradbury.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am hoping someone here knows this story...it is about authors in purgatory for writing ghost stories. Including Dickens for "A Christmas Carol" Help!

Posts: 2 | Location: IL | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was the first SF collection I taught from as a student teacher, "just a few years ago"... My very first class of students actually built a Short Stack model of the "eco-dome/stack" that is discussed in the story. I still have a set of this title and refer to it from time to time. (I'll need to revisit the story now to see how it stands the test of time.) Many classic stories/authors!!

RE: (3rd story listed)
Themes in Science Fiction ed. Leo P. Kelley (McGraw-Hill 07-033504-4, 1972, tp); A Journey Into Wonder.

The Last of the Romany · Norman Spinrad · Analog May ’63
The Total Experience Kick · Charles Platt · New Worlds Dec ’66
**Shortstack [Willy Shorts] · Walt & Leigh Richmond · Analog Dec ’64
Far from This Earth · Chad Oliver · The Year 2000, ed. Harry Harrison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1970
Maelstrom II · Arthur C. Clarke · Playboy Apr ’65
Founding Father · Isaac Asimov · Galaxy Oct ’65
Holdout · Robert Sheckley · F&SF Dec ’57
The Cold Equations · Tom Godwin · Astounding Aug ’54
The Father-Thing · Philip K. Dick · F&SF Dec ’54
The Silk and the Song · Charles L. Fontenay · F&SF Jul ’56
Eyebem · Gene Wolfe · Orbit 7, Damon Knight, G.P. Putnam’s, 1970
Puppet Show · Fredric Brown ·Playboy Nov ’62
Look, You Think You’ve Got Troubles · Carol Carr · Orbit 5, ed. Damon
Knight, G.P. Putnam’s, 1969
Young Girl at an Open Half-door · Fred Saberhagen · F&SF Nov ’68
The Man Who Came Early · Poul Anderson · F&SF Jun ’56
Soldier [“Soldier from Tomorrow”] · Harlan Ellison · Fantastic Universe
Oct ’57
The Good Provider · Marion Gross · F&SF Sep ’52
A Message from Charity · William M. Lee · F&SF Nov ’67
Witch War · Richard Matheson · Startling Stories Jul ’51
Gomez · C. M. Kornbluth · The Explorers, Ballantine, 1954
Muse · Dean R. Koontz · F&SF Sep ’69
The World of Myrion Flowers · Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth ·F&SF
Oct ’61
X Marks the Pedwalk · Fritz Leiber · Worlds of Tomorrow Apr ’63
EPICAC · Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. · Colliers Nov 25 ’50
The Last Command [Bolo] · Keith Laumer · Analog Jan ’67
Lost Memory · Peter Phillips · Galaxy May ’52
The Survivor · Walter F. Moudy · Amazing May ’65
The Post-Mortem People · Peter Tate · New Worlds Mar ’66
The Travelin’ Man · Leo P. Kelley · F&SF Sep ’70
One Love Have I · Robert F. Young · If Apr ’55
Who Shall Dwell... · H. C. Neal · Playboy Jul ’62

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, fjp451! Do you know the other one, too?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jefferys50:
I am hoping someone here knows this story...it is about authors in purgatory for writing ghost stories. Including Dickens for "A Christmas Carol" Help!

Sounds to me like Bradbury's "The Exiles".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set on Mars! You got it, SD!! "Exiles" is really a study in imagery and allusion.

(Though we all know, "Mars is Heaven!")

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!! Much appreciated. I read this 20 + years ago and it stuck with me. Thanks again....

Posts: 2 | Location: IL | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post