Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kaleidoscope
 Login/Join

posted
I read Kaleidoscope earlier this year, and reread it again while awaiting a friend to arrive for lunch. It is one of my all time favorite R.B. stories. Its a great metaphor on the brevity of life and the decisions, both good and bad, that constitute that oh so short span. What is brilliant is how he demonstrated that in the short period of the spacemen floating away from their exploded spaceship and the ensuing conversation. The most striking metaphor he specifically uses ironically is that when looked back upon in the final moments of life, it was like a last flicker on a movie screen as the film burns to ash. That just struck me really hard for some reason, I guess it just brings it all home how short life really is, and to enjoy as much of it as possible. I also found it shocking when the meteor takes his hand and leg off, and he calmly tightens the valve on his space suit. Similiar to Jaws, I thought. Its just a classic example of the genius of Ray's writing, even though its not totally scientifically plausible, there is no questioning it because you are there and he forces you to experience it one hundred percent, or should I murmur one billion percent! It has a great ending as well. Definitely one of my alltime favorites, I am currently looking for an old kaleidoscope to buy.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you liked “Kaleidoscope”, you can see about two minutes of it on film if you rent “Dark Star”. Part of the ending rips off Ray’s story. Also this film is really the first version of “Alien”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats interesting. Its one of his stories I almost wouldn't want to see on film, afraid it'd interfere with the running script in my head. Curious though to see. Amazingly, it is one of my favorite songs too, by the Dead.

Dark star crashes
pouring its light
into ashes
Reason tatters
the forces tear loose
from the axis
Searchlight casting
for faults in the
clouds of delusion
Shall we go,
you and I
while we can?
Through
the transitive nightfall
of diamonds
Mirror shatters
in formless reflections
of matter
Glass hand dissolving
to ice-petal flowers
revolving
Lady in velvet
recedes
in the nights of good-bye
Shall we go
you and I
while we can?
Through
the transitive nightfall
of diamonds

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post