Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    football and bradbury!!??

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

football and bradbury!!??
 Login/Join

posted
A couple of years ago i was at my friends house and noticed one of those enormous coffee table books in his living room (on the coffee table...) I picked it up and began to flip through. It had these amazing photos of football players in action, probably around in the 1970's. The photographs were just great. What is even more amazing is that the introduction and beginning to each "chapter" of photos was written by.... Ray Bradbury! I'm still finding it hard to believe. Can anyone back me up on this, or did i imagine the whole thing?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds very strange, but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I'm sure there's someone here who knows what you're talking about.

By the way, love your screen name. Do you have a secret goldfish, by chance?

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the coffee table book in particular, but two months ago when I heard Ray speak at a Barnes and Noble, he did tell a story about how an editor once asked him to write a piece on football. I don't remember the story very well, but it seems to me that it went something like this: At first, Ray declined, saying that while he loved football he really had nothing to say about it. The editor persisted, though, so Ray took a stab at a long poem on the subject. He sent it in, not sure how well a *poem* about football would be received. The editor responded the very next day saying that it had brought tears to his eyes and that he had sent a copy to his dad. Ray was astonished. "When was the last time you sent a *poem* to your dad?" he asked the audience. In answer to his own rhetorical question, he said after a pause: "NEVER!"

Posts: 22 | Location: San Pedro, CA | Registered: 05 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A GAME OF PASSION, published in 1975, does indeed have a "prologue and epilogue" by Bradbury. I've seen it, but haven't read it.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 20 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nightshade:
This sounds very strange, but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I'm sure there's someone here who knows what you're talking about.

By the way, love your screen name. Do you have a secret goldfish, by chance?

If I had a "seceret" goldfish why would i tell you?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
A GAME OF PASSION, published in 1975, does indeed have a "prologue and epilogue" by Bradbury. I've seen it, but haven't read it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Bill, this has been an extreme help, now i'm off to see if i can find it again. Any good ideas where to start? This probably isn't on the NEW YORK TIMES Best seller list or anything. Thanks again Bill.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post