Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    teaching sci-fi literature

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

teaching sci-fi literature
 Login/Join

posted
Ray's story "There Will Come Soft Rains" has been a great starting point for me in the past few years to introduce 7th and 8th grade students in my lit. classes to well-written science fiction literature. The more technologically advanced theier own homes become, the more they can relate to his story. They love it and many choose to read all of "Martian Chronicles"

Posts: 1 | Location: saint marys, PA USA | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martian Chronicles is a great starting place for that age group. My start was F451 and then Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Good to hear many of them are pursuing the entire collection of Martian Chronicles after being introduced to a single story.

The strength of Bradbury (other than the great style of his writing) is the fact that no matter how advanced technology becomes, Bradbury maintains a focus on the human side of the story. No matter how bizarre or futuristic the setting, he looks at people's fears, loves, dreams, doubts, religious feelings, friendhips, coping mechanisms, etc.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post