Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Short story about whale

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short story about whale
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me if my memory is playing tricks? I could swear I read a Ray Bradbury story, many many years ago, about the last whale left on earth. I thought the title was The Last Leviathan, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I would love to read it again if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Bonaire, GA, USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was my memory playing tricks. I did a search on words like Bradbury-whale-foghorn
and came up with a paragraph of Bradbury talking about this story. It wasn't a whale in the story; it was the last dinosaur. The title was The Foghorn and a friend has it in her book of 'The Stories of Ray Bradbury'. If there's enough room here, I'll add the bradbury quote where I found my info. Sorry
for being so vague in my original question.

�I lived in Venice, California back in 1950,� Bradbury recalls, adding that he and his wife �walked along the shore one night and came upon the ruins of the old Venice peer, which had just been torn down; and the ruins of the roller-coaster were lying there in the sand, being covered by the wind and the water. I looked at the bones of the roller coaster and said to my wife, �I wonder what that dinosaur is doing lying here?� My wife was very careful not to answer. The next night, I heard a sound and woke in the night. I looked out the window, and for ten miles down the coast there was nothing but wind and rain and sand. But a voice way out in the Santa Monica Bay called me; it was a foghorn, blowing over, and over, and over again. I said, �That�s it. The dinosaur is lying on the beach because it heard another dinosaur calling from a billion years, and it swam for an encounter with this other beast and discovered it was only a light house and a damn fog horn, and it tore the whole thing down and died of a broken heart. So I sat down and wrote �The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms,� which ecame �The Foghorn,�* which I gave to John Huston in a book. He read my description of the melancholy sound of the foghorn, and
based on that one story, he gave me the job of writing Moby Dick.�

Posts: 2 | Location: Bonaire, GA, USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post