Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I need some questions to be answered about "Fahrenheit"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some questions to be answered about "Fahrenheit"
 Login/Join

posted
can anyone help me im doing a report on the book and i need some answers to some of the questions i want to write about

michael

Posts: 1 | Location: san diego | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a search on all the numerous aspects of F451 which have been discussed here and see if your questions are addressed. If not, at least tell us the questions!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We MIGHT help you... put forth a little effort and just write better, not perfect, just better. Us oldtimers take it as a sign of disrepect, or just plain laziness. You know, we had to walk fifteen miles in the snow with no shoes to get to school, and then fifteen miles back through the snow with no shoes AND no toes. Just to learn our four Rs--reading, riting, rithmetic, and respect.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfornately the word "lazy" comes to my mind when I see posters who do not capitalize nor even attempt to punctuate properly.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Students will usually only work as hard as they need to, you know.
When you and I were schoolboys, even if the answers were correct, and/or the content was up to standard, our grade would also depend on punctuation and neatness!
Bear in mind the generation of those who are now teachers.
That said, I'm always glad to see students come here for help!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Note also, that because of the home and office computer, EVERYBODY has had to learn how to type. Some are still struggling with the process.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be frightened away, Michael - they're really a bunch of good guys & ladies, and are here to help.

Now what was your question?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as a Hi-Tecky who worked my entire life to bring the old culture kicking and screeming into the 21st century, I see it both ways. I value the detail and correctness of knowing the Rules of writing that set apart the un-educated from those who have not, or will not, learn those rules. But,...in this time of ever more rapid accumulation of information and the need to communiate it more rapidly as well, I can understand the need, and the right, to simplyfy the medium, while not loosing the meaning of the message. I, for one, do not mind the computer language, or protcols - which one might term digit-tonics (why not, we got Ebonics) - that allows shortening and simplification to provide space for more bits in the message. Thus, "thru" rather than "through" and, evolving, ever forward, to just the abreviation of the word LOL etc. As long as there is dictionary - or is it now a digitary - than will provide accurate translation between all transmitters and receivers of information, all will work out just fine. The ultimate end of this is the embedded chip, which will will directly translate incoming bit streams into thoughts that the brain can understand and use to function in this ever more complex world.
GLAGN (Good Luck and Good Night)

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who was fond of saying that language is a living thing. I would remind us that, if that's true, language can also sicken and die!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
u sed a mthfl.

I believe we should expect better out of them, not perfect, just better. I think dumbing-down is a big mistake. Making allowances for Ebonics was a mistake and Oakland has finally acknowledged that. We should never dumb-down.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This post is a little bizarre as no questions are even asked. I favor correct punctuation, as it enhances communications. The only exceptions I see are for text-messaging and short email replies on a blackberry-type device. But I think rules of writing enhance communication, and hence, should be followed. Just my two cents.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Thus, "thru" rather than "through"...

It's about time they started spelling it the right way! I always spell it "thru".

I also spell it "tho" instead of "though"!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the sense of it is not lost, "tho" the correctness of the Rule might be violated. Do not take me wrong, I am all for correct English and using the Rules. They have their place in good literature. But in everyday communication where brevity and correctness of interpretation are both needed, simplification is the answer. Just check twith the military, who use acronyms to great advantage.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Just check twith the military, who use acronyms to great advantage.

patrask is correct! I'm in the military and I can write entire emails just using acronyms!

CO,

FYI.

V/R,

PN2 S.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
While acronyms are useful means of abbreviating communications in areas where common acronyms are in common use, I make two observations:

(1) Correct usage--even in technical writing--is to spell out the acronym in first use, coin it, and then use the acronym in subsequent usage as a free-standing acronym.

(2) The over-use of acronyms can lead to weakened communications. I remember sitting in a roomful of engineers and programmers who were tossing acronyms around the room in a very casual manner. I was new and began asking what the acronyms meant. In many, many cases, no one knew. The acronyms had lost much of their meaning as they had become unfamiliar because the full term had not been used in a long time.

Additionally, acronyms are sometimes used intentionally to create walls in communications where a group communicates in a way that excludes others from being actively involved.

Acronyms are wonderful ways to abbreviate burdensome communications; but that doesn't mean there are no rules to the proper use of acronyms.

I manage a team of proposal and technical writers and editors. These rules are strictly enforced in our industry/company.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and are looking forward to a wonderful year in 2007!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post