Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    going crazy!!!!!!please help

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

going crazy!!!!!!please help
 Login/Join

posted
hi i've noticed a lot of posts requesting help for title's of ray bradbury's short stories, and here is another one!

About 7 years ago i read a bradbury tale for an english literature exam, and i cannot for the life of me remember what the tale was called and i cannot find my old notes!

I can only remember it vaguely, but it was something to do with a woman and a ravine. she lived across the ravine and had been out in the town. When it came for her to go home she told her friend to go home and as she started down across the ravine she felt someone behind her. After a mad panic journey, she made it home and bolted the door. As she did this she heard someone breathing behind her - and that is where the story ends.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: 22 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short story you are looking for is "The Whole Town's Sleeping." It was originally published in McCall's Magazine in 1950, and later incorporated, as a chapter, into Ray's novel, DANDELION WINE. The short story itself was recently reprinted in the collection BRADBURY STORIES, published by Morrow. And I personally think it's one of the scariest stories I have ever read.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Googled "Bradbury ravine", first page of results was full of hits, including link to dandelion's post on this topic on another RB board..lots of good info here!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both very very much!! i am now kicking myself as the title was on the tip of my tongue all along!

thanks again and i too thought the story was excellent - i'm not usually a fan of endings which is why i loved the open ending.

thanks again !!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 22 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pleasure Smiler Sorry for the near simulpost, Richard's information was much more direct and specific.

I guess that wasn't another board as I thought from the URL, but the older version of this one? I was too fascinated looking at the linked photos in the gallery to refresh page and see Richard had already answered.

That was indeed a haunting story. Not that I ever, ever, ever thought about it when hiking and camping in scouts as a child. Never. Really. Not even still as a teenager, much less today. Really.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post