Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    "KING KONG" Ray has something in common with my Dad.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"KING KONG" Ray has something in common with my Dad.
 Login/Join

posted
Being an avid film buff/collector for over 35 years I'd love to share this with you all as Ray Bradbury has this in common with my Dad. Now I've been familiar with the story of the cut 'spider-pit' scene from the original "King Kong" since I picked up a copy of "Famous Monsters" way back when that showed the still of that scene. After years of watching it on television-the cut 1938 re-release print- the film was then issued 'restored' and was then playing at the then Cinema 3 on White Street in Red Bank, NJ.
Dad (who isn't a film buff) and I decided to attend a screening in 74 and had a great night watching this expanded version of "Kong". Later, at the diner (having coffee and cake-Pop uses the phrase 'coffee and glue'), my father mentioned he didn't see the big spider. I did a double take and questioned him at the time very carefully. He said he saw the film when it just came out because he went with his mother and they showed it with Laurel and Hardy which he loves to this day. I asked him if he was sure he was thinking of "Kong"? He said yes (especially after showing him Ackerman's still). Years later, the topic came up again and by that time I had Forry Ackerman's phone number. I called Ack and put Dad on who explained his story. Dad was of course still wondering what the fuss was all about thinking that everyone had seen this scene. When Peter Jackson recreated the scene for the "King Kong" dvd Dads watched it and said this was pretty much what he recalled. Now Ray Bradbury saw this as well so there must have been more than one preview print floating around or got through. Anyway. I thought I'd share this with you all.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post