Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My first novel will bear a dedication to Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first novel will bear a dedication to Ray
 Login/Join

posted
I met Ray when he spoke at USC around 1980. I'd just finished producing a class project which ended with a clip from the film THINGS TO COME. That film turned out to be one of Ray's favorites and ABC Network had also ended a project (on space) with it. Some time later, I telephoned him and he was as nice as anyone could be.
Since I've moved back to Wyoming, I've often thought of Ray and hoped that both his health and happiness were in fine shape. I've just found this website and when I clicked on the video for F451 and heard Ray tell the story about the policeman and the crackers on Wilshire...I feel like I'm on the right track! Because in 2006, the Wyoming State Police came to my house to suppress my civil rights (after I'd opposed a no-permit-required gun bill, the director of the state police called me and hung up on me...and I'd then collected the needed evidence to prosecute him for harassment). Long story short: The leader of the interrogation in my living room was the state operations commander. And he kept saying, "So, we're on the same page?" Yes (like Ray) I'm laughing now as my first book, EDGE OF HEAVEN goes to print. Because on the back cover is this cop, by name, telling me, "You can't write...like this!"
And his quote is followed by a quote from the Vice President, lifted drectly from this letter he wrote me:
http://www.laserradio.com/vpnote.pdf
The book describes a social landscape like F451, where America has been fighting Terror for two decades and is now feeding on itself. The happy ending comes as the antiChrist cools global warming the hard way! And the dead characters awaken at the EDGE OF HEAVEN and achieve the physics of immortality!
Ray, if you're reading this, I love you man!
I'm so sorry to know of Mrs Bradbury's passing. But I know you see in your daughters the spirit and love you shared with your beloved!
I have a VP at a studio interested in my book and if things go well, I still have your phone number and will try to contact you when I'm in LA and perhaps can meet you again for a cup of tea! All the best and keep on believing in Things to Come! John Guthrie, Laser Radio

With deep affection and respect for Ray!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post