Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Oh, Robot Lincoln!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, Robot Lincoln!
 Login/Join

posted
“I strained my eyes after him, and then in the moonlight I could make out the inalienable outline of his figure receding into the distance. He was the man who rode into our little valley out of the heart of the great glowing [east] and when his work was done rode back whence he had come and he was [Robot Lincoln].” (With apologies to Jack Schaefer.)

Goodnight, Robot Lincoln, wherever you are.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Don't leave Shane!" I loved Shane.

Robot Lincoln will always be in our hearts and mind...

Happy Halloween everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marian's "stump pie" was second to none!

One of the best saloon fight scenes in any Western made!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Palance is one actor I love to hate too, second only to Bruce Dern.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, thanks so much for NOT writing "FROM whence he had come" in your above post!

We all miss Robot Lincoln here at Marionettes, Inc.
He hasn't been the same anyway since "Downwind from Gettysburg"...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dare I ask...what happened to Robot Lincoln?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, the bad news is he was shot by a crazy publicity-seeking guy named Booth.
The good news is he's come back as "duskmurmur".

(He's posted an explanation around here somewhere.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shed my metalic skin, Dandy....

posted Hide Post
Bralling II, my hearty second to your happiness in not seeing "From whence he come." I am amazed that so many people are not aware that "whence" means "from where," and to say "from whence" is being redundant.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? What? "Redundancy!" Again?

Nice catch, BII and BI.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about changing my name to "toadstool". Nope, no reasoning behind it whatsoever.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the only part of SHANE that I remember is the "always sit with your back to the wall" bit. I remember it was Fonzi's favorite book. I think "Mrs. C" taught him how to read in one episode of HAPPY DAYS and it was the first real book he ever read after progressing from "See Spot Run". But then again... I might be confusing a TV show with my own experience because I think Fonzi liked the "back to the wall" thing too. Perhaps I read it AFTER seeing the HAPPY DAYS episode? The silly things that stick in our minds, refusing to be tossed into the incinerator, at times hiding and at other times kicking and screaming, shouting "YOU NEED ME!!!" But I haven't the room for all of you. I can hear them now..."Alright, scoot over. Make room for the new guy." No wonder my memories get all jumbled up.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like both names. What is the difference between a mushroom and a toadstool? Do toads really sit on them??? Has anyone ever kissed a toad or a mushroom? Now I'm being redundant whilst eating on my lunch hour... I enjoy finishing my sentences in this fashion... It's like it's not really finished...!

posted Hide Post
Ellipsis

posted Hide Post
The ellipsis was never used more effectively than in Federick Brown's famous seventeen word short story which goes like this:
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room, there was a knock on the door....."

Somebody else (Charels Grant or Forry Ackerman perhaps) outdid him by one letter when they wrote:
"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room, there was a lock on the door....."

Then there was Grant or Ackerman (I think) writing a one letter story entitled something like "Galactic Report Card Rating Earth's Third Quarter Performance" which was, of course, "F".

=====================================================