Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simply Waiting on a Watermelon...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
MTD: Should you not have already planted the pumpkin patch?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mog the Dog here, with my gaze set on Mars in the final hours of my waiting on a watermelon, wondering how that blasted thing in the well could simply wait all those years.

I know it's already the 22nd of August throughout most of the world despite the fact that it's not quite yet here in the PDT zone. What day is it on Mars, though?

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
MTD: Should you not have already planted the pumpkin patch?

Yes, the pumpkin patch has been planted and is already teeming with baby jack-o-lanterns. I'll turn my gaze to them tomorrow while munching on a huge slice-o-pink-ripe-summer in honor of Mr. Bradbury, on the occasion of his first day of being twice twice twenty-two.

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
Don't be fooled by that rictus of a grin. He's not a happy chappy!

That's a lovely garden you've got there, Ms Bell. I say, that a lovely garden you've got there.

And so green! It must rain occasionally in UK, no?

Okay, okay! I heard you the first time. Indeed it rains here every day as the ditty goes:

"The rain it falleth every day
Upon the just and unjust fella,
But chiefly on the just because
The unjust's got the just's umbrella."

Mogsie, I'd gladly swap you an inch of rain for a smidgeon of your sunshine. My tomatoes are as sweet as cherries but the notion of growing a melon in these here parts is ... unheard of.

- Tink

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mogsie, I'd gladly swap you an inch of rain for a smidgeon of your sunshine.

- Tink

It's a deal!

posted Hide Post
The one part water and two parts sunshine are accounted for. Anyone up to supply the three parts prayer?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The one part water and two parts sunshine are accounted for. Anyone up to supply the three parts prayer?

Mog the Dog here.

Who among you will 'fess up to the 3 parts prayer?

It's December 5th, and my tomato plants are flourishing. Any melons growing in the UK today?

MTD

posted Hide Post
Good heavens, I took in the last of the tomatoes months ago! It's still above freezing during the day, but freezes at night.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...Any melons growing in the UK today?...

I doubt it! Heavy frosts currently! (There might be some in a hydroponic chamber, or a polytunnel, I suppose.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, MogtheDog, the tomatoes look very nice, but I have to wonder where on the earth you live---Australia, perhaps? Here at the moment it is a frosty 14 degrees F (-10 C), with snow everywhere!

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
Wow, MogtheDog, the tomatoes look very nice, but I have to wonder where on the earth you live---Australia, perhaps? Here at the moment it is a frosty 14 degrees F (-10 C), with snow everywhere!

Mog the Dog here.

First frost is but a few days away; even so, my tomato plants flourish still. They don't know how to grow old and slow down and prepare themselves for death like most people do.

Each vine will be displaying buds and flowers and tomatoes, both green and red, the very moment that a gentle, sweeping, silent 32-degree exhalation of eternity takes them all away from their task at living in this small, peaceful, semi-rural town just 38.2 miles south-southwest of Allendale, California.

MTD

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...Any melons growing in the UK today?...

I doubt it! Heavy frosts currently! (There might be some in a hydroponic chamber, or a polytunnel, I suppose.)

I wonder if Tinkerbell's Fido has found his way into such a polytunnel melon patch!

posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...Any melons growing in the UK today?...[/QUOTE]

I doubt it! Heavy frosts currently! (There might be some in a hydroponic chamber, or a polytunnel, I suppose.)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Tinkerbell's Fido has found his way into such a polytunnel melon patch![/QUOTE]

Indeed, MogtheDog!

Fido is busy harvesting melons as I write. Photos to follow ...

I meant to comment on your amazing water melon but was whisked into hospital with a rash (midrash I expect) and have been laid low for a while.

Thanks, philnic, for stepping into the breach. I couldn't bear our American buddies to think we're ill-mannered.

Guess who I'm playing in the local production of "Peter Pan"?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinkerbell, so your hospitalisation was the result of a rash decision?

Tinkerbell...playing in Peter Pan... Ah, of course! Captain Hook!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
...midrash I expect...

The best kind of rash!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post