Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Bradbury story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bradbury story?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a dilemma. When I was in middle school...a good 10 years ago...I read a story that I THINK is by Ray Bradbury. I don't remember the title. I know the plot line. I'm hoping someone here will recognize it, either as a Bradbury work or not. I will soooo greatly appreciate it(I've been agonizing over this for YEARS--no exaggeration there)!

So, here's the plot:
A scientist creates a machine which allows people to be transported across great distances in a matter of nanoseconds. However, if the traveller goes through this portal awake, the time between entering and exiting seems like an eternity.
The other part of the story is about a family travelling to mars(??) using this device. The young son knows that everyone must go through asleep, but wants to know what it's like inside. So, he tricks the "stewardesses" and doesn't take the anesthesia and goes through awake. At the other end of the trip, he has gone mad.

There's more to it, and I remember most of it(which is the saddest part of my predicament--I can remember vivid details of the story, but not the title or the author...).

Can anyone help me????

Posts: 1 | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Jaunt," by Stephen King, from the collection "Skeleton Crew."

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post