Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit 451-The Authorized Adaption
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451-The Authorized Adaption
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Here's an article singing the praises of the illustrated adaptation of FAHRENHEIT 451 from yesterday's Sunday Chicago Tribune, written by Tribune book critic Julia Keller:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...g09,0,1870888.column

Posts: 2477 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I hope to make your acquaintance, good sir!

Yes, DW... I am looking forward making yours as well! Thanks for the kind thought.

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article Richard has cited concludes with "...reading a graphic novel is not really "reading" at all. They're right. It's something else again. In the case of "Fahrenheit 451," it's more like a life-changing immersion in ideas, words, echoes, symbols, characters, lines, colors, nightmares -- and finally, daybreak."

I finished reading the graphic version of 451 a few days ago. I have already ordered a full class set for my HS Honors course. After a thorough study of F451 from "It was a pleasure to burn," to "When we reach the city," we'll enjoy the images of the graphic art from Tim Hamilton's work. I know the kids are going to love the combination.

This publication, and others that hopefully will follow, will open up Mr. B's writings to "another new generation" of readers. Also, Mr. Bradbury's own introduction to the graphic novel finishes with a great idea for all teachers on board. I have already outlined a major lesson from what he has suggested! (I'll give credit to Mr. Bradbury when the unit is presented, of course!)

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gather that you recommend this book, then, fjp!

Is it a condensed version of the novel, or does it have all the key scenes in it? And does it take any liberties with the original text?

Perhaps if this volume is a success, there may be more impetus behind the Darabont film version.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is one of the few negative reviews I've seen of the F451 graphic novel:

http://www.slate.com/id/2223495/?from=rss

Note, however, that it's not really a criticism of the adaptation, more a comment on the DECISION to do a comic-book version of F451. The reviewer has a well-founded point, but I think she is also missing the point.

This blogger puts a counter-argument:

http://gapersblock.com/bookclu...the_illustrated_man/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post