Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    For Anyone With Story Descriptions

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Anyone With Story Descriptions
 Login/Join

posted
This is for anyone with stories for which they remember a description, but not the title, whether or not they are by Ray Bradbury. When they are, usually someone here can answer them. When they are not, here's where I send them:
www.deja.com will get you to Google Groups. The two I use most often are rec.arts.books.childrens and rec.arts.sf.written which is very active. These groups are unmoderated and any idiot can post anything on any of them.

MSN Groups. If you're familiar with www.hotmail.com the "People and Chat" link on the MSN page will get you to MSN Groups. There's one called "Ex Libris, the Lost Boards," smaller than some forums but blessed with a number of extremely knowledgeable and experienced minds. Anyone should be able to view messages, but you have to register to post.

I also post on "The Fifth Dimension Message Board" at www.thetzsite.com on the premise that anyone who's watched all of "The Twilight Zone" may also have read a lot of Science Fiction. Although they have a lovely forum just for writers, mostly that hasn't worked out much and I end up just talking to myself. This is an ezboard, anyone subscribed to any ezboard is already subscribed to this.

Here is one I only just learned about: http://www.abe.com/docs/ReadingRoom/BookSleuth/
It's very well-trafficked by posters from all over the U. S., Canada, and the U. K., but they are swamped and far behind in posting solutions.

You'd think yahoogroups would have a good one like this but so far I've found none I'd recommend.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, go to www.logan.com/loganberry and post to "Stump the Bookseller." Probably the most extensive and best site of its kind online, it DOES get good results, but it'll cost ya: it's $2.00 per stumper, applicable to the cost of a copy when your stumper is solved, but how humiliating is that when you learn the book is well-known and copies easily obtained for 25 cents? That's why I try all the other sites above first. "Stump the Bookseller" and "Booksleuth" are done by e-mail or a form. "Stump the Bookseller" will post any query as long as the payment is good. "Booksleuth" will post only what they feel like. Of course, when there are answers, I post them, so those of you who didn't get them, it means there weren't any.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to move this up. I sent about a dozen to Booksleuth; so far one has shown up. Working on approaching the fabled universe that is PUBYAC.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An update: Abebooks Booksleuth is now in message board form, and a very enlightening and entertaining forum full of fascinating folks. To the best of my knowledge, I've successfully updated all still-unsolved story descriptions to the above sources. If a story description was posted under another topic, though, rather than having its own thread, it's possible I could have missed it.