Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray in Santa Barbara, Saturday June 24th at Conference

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray in Santa Barbara, Saturday June 24th at Conference
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have the details of Ray's appearance tomorrow at noon at the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WELCOME, dawniebelle:

As of 5PM, Los Angeles time, Friday, June 23....

...the info is that Ray will be there tomorrow evening, June 24th, 7:30PM, at the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference, held at the Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel in Santa Barbara. Tickets at $15.00 each were still available couple days ago. You can try calling Marcia Meier, 805 964-0367 and see if any tickets are available.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great time in Santa Barbara, Saturday (June 24th) where Ray Bradbury spoke to the Writers Conference.

Attached find a photo!

You may also want to try viewing a 1 minute video clip of a speech he did there in Santa Barbara yesterday evening by catching the link provided below. For some reason I can't synch the voice to the video very well ... so no additional ones until I am able to correct the glitch. (Shot between bobbing heads, so a little grainy...)!

video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH6FpvfU8yc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ImageSB_Ray_signing_.JPG (186 Kb, 14 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, what is the story on the two know-it-alls in the clip below the one you posted. They seem to have a need to be clever with their knowledge of the subject. They could use a lesson or two in respect. (Oh, I forgot that is not a part of the p.s. curriculum any more.) Why attend a 2 hr. lecture to then pull a stunt like that? What's up!?

By the way, it is quite evident in the clip that Mr. Bradbury's passion is still burning bright. As his 86th birthday approaches, we should all hope to be as determined and productive as he remains today.

Nard, can you share a few anecdotes from the presentation?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451

Nowadays, nothing is sacred. And everyone has access to a 'film' platform seen world-wide! What was held as a prize by few, now is held by most all. When I discovered the 'youtube' website, I found some very offensive-stupid-juvenile videos made about Bradbury. Some from Cerritos College students right here in LA! I've been trying to add videos in reaction to those previously posted by those insensitive to Mr. Bradbury!

There were professional cameras/video people there at the writers conference in Santa Barbara, so there is a full length video of the event. I have made perhaps 20 minutes of clips. Once I figure this sound/synch problem, I'll post some of them. I believe those will provide the anecdotes you would want.

NOTE:
A major announcement by Ray was that next month (July)... Ray will be on a closed circuit TV to hundreds of libraries thruout the country, addressing librarians. AND First Lady Laura Bush will introduce Ray.

posted Hide Post
Nard,
PLEASE let us know the date and time for the library TV address if you can!

Hurrah for libraries!
The folks at the branch near me call me by my first name!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great kick in the pants video clip, Nard. I'll play it often.

Thanks.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT VIDEO NARD, WHO WAS THAT GOOD LOOKING GAL YOU WERE WITH?

LATER PATRICK

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This short video has to dismiss any questions about Bradbury's passion. As adamant as ever about the rules of writing.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a display featuring past photos of Ray speaking at the Santa Barbara Writers Conferencelower left. Use a desktop magnifying tool if you got one...

ImageRay_Display_SB.JPG (247 Kb, 13 downloads)