Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    help on sound of thunder, there will come soft rains and the pedestrian ASAP

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help on sound of thunder, there will come soft rains and the pedestrian ASAP
 Login/Join

posted
i have to write an essay on the three ray bradbury stories stated above.
i need a thesis of future worlds to base all this around including - attitudes. lifestyles and relationships. (which i cant think of a decent one)
then i need to discuss the social historical context of these stories.
i have been told that there will come soft rains can relate to the 2nd world war through nuclear weapons, but thats all.
please help asap my exam for this essay is really soon!!
much appreciated! Smiler

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I need," "I need," "I have been told," "please help asap"
s-x: You have come to the right place. There are many here who have exactly the information you are in need of. So, you are really fortunate to have found them.

Just a side note: Have you read the stories yet?

"Walking. Just walking!"
"Don't get off the path."
"Tic-tock, seven o'clock, time to get up..."
Intriguing topics. All 3 are great, classics of RB's.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah i have read the stories but i still can't peice together a thesis or a social historical background for any,
can you help or know of people that can help?
i need it by tonight Frowner

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie-x:
yeah i have read the stories but i still can't peice together a thesis or a social historical background for any,
can you help or know of people that can help?
i need it by tonight Frowner

Oh, here on the West Coast of the United States it's still Saturday night. You had me confused there for a minute.

I'll give you a couple little hint-o's.

The Pedestrian was published in 1951. At that time, the American population was experiencing a cultural shift brought on by the advent of the affordable home television. Television had people staying in-doors during the nights, expecting entertainment delivered to them in their living rooms. With a box of entertainment sitting right there in the house, certain tendencies began to diminish. Bradbury believes that Television has caused harm to us, and he often alludes to this belief in his stories. I think you can take it from there, Steve.

In Sound of Thunder, what type of politician does the main character so despise and fear? Why is his election to the office of president so catastrophic? The story was published in 1952, what world leaders of that time fit the profile of the presidential candidate at the end of the story? Hint: Dictators, etc.
If you want this analysis to tie in with a single thesis, think about how the need for entertainment and satisfaction causes the main character to act recklessly during his trip to the past.

As for There Will Come Soft Rains, think about this: What does all that technology amount to in the end? Key point: It persists as if the people aren't even there. Why is this relevant? Because, living the lifestyle the house's inhabitants had been living, it didn't even matter if they were there or not. They might as well not have been there at all.

Good luck with your report, friend.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow thankyou heaps!
im going to start studying it right now!
yeah its monday morning here.
my exam is early tuesday!
do you have any ideas about a thesis and how these stories contribute to attitudes, lifestyles and relationships through developing an understanding of a future world?
thanks heaps for all your help!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie-x:
wow thankyou heaps!
im going to start studying it right now!
yeah its monday morning here.
my exam is early tuesday!
do you have any ideas about a thesis and how these stories contribute to attitudes, lifestyles and relationships through developing an understanding of a future world?
thanks heaps for all your help!!

Well, if I were to write a thesis, it would be along the lines of

Ray Bradbury's short stories The Pedestrian, A Sound of Thunder and There Will Come Soft Rains serve to highlight the negative aspects of a future world in which technology plays a greater part in societal and social affairs than human beings do.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post