Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    GoodMorning
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GoodMorning
 Login/Join

posted
GoodMorning everyone my name is Jazmine and i attend Mandarin Middle in Jacksonville Fl in Duval County! I was wondering if i could ask you guys some questions! I am Reading The Vintage Bradbury and i am in the story The Veldt! I was wondering if anyone read that story yet?

Mandarin Midddle School

Posts: 3 | Location: Jacksonville Fl | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jazmine:
To answer your question:
Do certain playrooms have wall screens? Do lions eat people? Should the parents know what's going on with their kids?

Or:
Yes!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i dont understand what you are asking me sir?

Mandarin Midddle School

Posts: 3 | Location: Jacksonville Fl | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jasmine,
Yes, I’ve read it also. It’s a good one. I’m curious. Have you finished reading the story yet? -- Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, i have not finished reading the story but do any of you know the answer to these questions involving The Veldt.

What were the 2 different reactions that George and Lyndia had after escaping the Lions the first time?

Do you think Mr. Hadley was being condescending to Mrs. Hadley?

What two items did Mr. Hadley pick up off the floor in the nursery that were foreshadowing the events to come?

Where were the children Wendy and Peter during the first encounter with the Lions?

Mandarin Midddle School

posted Hide Post
jazmine: It's what you are asking... which is that we do your homework. The questions are obviously right off the quiz page.

Now, 'Mr. Dark'... an exceptional and patient teacher... would probably be the best one to handle this. He comes on the Bradbury website occasionally. Maybe he'll check by this Thanksgiving weekend.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't count on Mr. Dark doing peoples' homework. He usually asks a bunch of questions, such as, "What do YOU think is the theme?"

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jazmine--As short stories go, this is one of the shortest. Please sit down and read it. It will only take about 20-30 minutes tops, and I guarantee you will love it!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I favour posting ridiculous answers to the questions. These then get handed in as homework. Student then learns lesson about shallow research!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but if she reads the story she can ward off such perils.

Good luck, young Miss!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic--Love your idea!! Years ago there was a Married With Children (yes, I admit I watched and enjoyed it) episode where Kelly needed to do a book report on Robinson Crusoe, and Bud gave her a synopsis of a Gilligan's Island episode. Also, there was a Leave it to Beaver episode where the Beav tried to do a book report based on a movie and got into all kinds of trouble because the movie was basically something like a Three Stooges version of the story. I have always wanted to tape both of these episodes to show them to my students right before their book reports are due, but I never seem to catch the episodes I'm looking for, and I'm not so sure I'd be able to show the Married With Children episode anyway. Of course now there are websites such as Sparknotes and Pink Monkey for kids to "borrow" from. It keeps me on my toes!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I got the idea from Married with Children!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first reaction to this request WAS to post silly answers! OK, maybe I will:

What were the 2 different reactions that George and Lyndia had after escaping the Lions the first time?

George: "Me George, you Lyndia."
Lynda: " Lyndia?

Yes. After all, that was the basis of their turbulent relationship, he being 60 years her senior.

What two items did Mr. Hadley pick up off the floor in the nursery that were foreshadowing the events to come?

A copy of MAD Magazine dated Sept. 2121 and an UNREAD copy of "The Illustrated Man".

Where were the children Wendy and Peter during the first encounter with the Lions?

With the Lost Boys near Mermaid Lagoon in Never-never Land.

Howz that?

lmskipper - FYI the Beave's report in the episode you mention was on Dumas' "The Three Musketeers", if memory servse; and it may have been the Ritz Brothers rather than Moe, Larry & Curley...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

JAZMINE:

Okay! Okay!
First the ""gooooffy" answer
And then, the 'right' answer! How's that? (I mean, we don't want to chase Jazmine away forever...)

Q:

Goofy answer: Shock and Awe!

Right answer: (Okay, first of all, her name is LINDA! NOT Lyndia.) Reactions: George was laughing. Linda was crying.
_

Q:

Goofy Answer: What's condescending mean?

Right answer: No! George Hadley used sense in listening to his wife, and locking up the nursery.
_

Q:

Goofy answer: Pooper scooper and running shoes.

Right answer: George's wallet, and blood on it...(if this answer is incomplete I can't see a distinct second item)
_

Q:
Where were the two children, Wendy and Peter, during the first encounter with the Lions?

Goofy answer: Reading the "Narnia Chronicles" to the Lions, a story concerning their great great great great uncle.

Right answer: Actually, I'm not absolutely sure...but I think the kids were at a special plastic carnival across town.

_

LASTLY:

I'd say... double-check my answers. I may just be fooling you with the ""right" answers...!!!
(not!)

posted Hide Post
Dandelion is right: I don't typically give out answers--especially factual ones like what did they pick up? It's a fact that is stipulated in the story. Read it and you can find the answer. I think there are many here who can help with some interpretations of stories and ideas, but I think students should read the story and do some thinking before they ask questions here. That's a prejudice of mine, I suppose. Sorry I was off the site for the weekend. Between moving, having kids back in town, and grading papers, it has been a very busy holiday weekend.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post