Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Comparing The Veldt to The Playground...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing The Veldt to The Playground...
 Login/Join

posted
I'm currently doing a paper on Ray Bradbury and his stories. We are supposed to research on how authors have been influenced by various of things that occured in their life that show up and/or make up their stories. I chose two books to read and examine from to make up my basis: The Veldt and The Playground.

I have already read both and I fully understood their intentions/themes. The Veldt had many themes possible-- a struggle between mankind vs. machine, destruction of childhood and loss of family orientation. While The Playground was about the repeating cycle of ruined childhood, a "deal with the devil" type of story.

However, I'm finding it a hard time to compare his stories to his overall life or even drawing a relationship between those two stories. I don't know very much about Bradbury's childhood. I always have thought he lived a curious and great childhood. So it's difficult for me to conclude how his two stories had anything to do with himself when the stories he wrote usually ends up tragically.

One thing I can imagine is how TV was introduced in the middle 1900's (1950?) and how the World War's occured. But he didn't go through any of those or necessarily suffer from them. Thus, I'm confused and lost.

Does anyone have any idea how The Veldt and The Playground may have any relationship with each other in terms of themes or values? And does anyone have any idea how those two stories can relate directly to his life or be influenced by something he has gone through life?

Thanks. Wink

-J.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, apparently no one knows the answer to this. Perhaps I can present a simpler question to this whole thing:

How can I relate The Veldt to The Playground? These two seem to have no common ground at all. That's what I wanted to know-- what common ground is being established when it comes to both of these stories?

Finally, how does both of these stories come about from Ray Bradbury's life? I'm sure one of you guru's might know about this, considering I read some of you knew he doesn't drive cars and lived an unusual life.

One thing I read about him was that he had much of his influences from his "fathers" which ranged from circus clowns/performers to some taxi driver. Usually adults that gave him insight, advices, and quotes that he remembered. But I don't know what influenced him on The Veldt and The Playground.

I really hope someone can give some clues or any facts on this. Thanks. Smiler

-J.

posted Hide Post
It's a good question. I'm sorry it hasn't garnered more response. I would start with the obvious . . . setting. They both take place in play areas for kids. But there is something terribly wrong in both of them.

What is wrong in both of them? There is the opposite of play...there is darkness. In one, murder; in the other entrapment without redemption.

What is the role of parents in each story? What is the role of kids in each story? How are they different? How are they the same?

These might be some starting points for comparison. Good luck.

As to relationships to Bradbury's life, the best place to start is the tremendous biography just out by Sam Weller (who I had the distinct pleasure of meeting yesterday. Tried to post a picture, but couldn't get anything to work.)

THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES: PREDICTING THE PAST, REMEMBERING THE FUTURE: THE LIFE OF RAY BRADBURY. Sam Weller. William Morrow, NY. 2005.

If your library doesn't have it, get them to order it immediately.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will be having a nice list of comparisons on the tidbits and such. And that book should prove insightful to the paper I'm writing (which is like due in a week, oh boy). Do you know of any other current indepth biography(ies) that may have any relationship to his common theme stories (darkness, horror, death, wrongful lives, etc)? Those should be great to use as a reference in proving my paper. Smiler

-J.