Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Wine recipe

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine recipe
 Login/Join

posted
I ran across an old recipe for dandelion wine and wondered if anyone would like to see it?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, in cub scouts, we had a recipe to boil dandelion stalks at a campfire and eat/drink that. This was not -- even then -- a memorable recipe. Is your recipe anything like that?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See some earlier posted suggestions for those who "dare" to try a batch! http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000144.html

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My discovery is close to fj's. Here it is.

Dandelion Wine

1 quart dandelion blossoms
1 cake yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 pound seedless raisins
3 pounds white sugar
1 lemon, cut into small pieces including peel
1 orange, ditto.

Remove all stems (Mr. Dark is listening now) and put a generous quart of blossoms with 4 quarts of water and boil for 30 minutes. Cool. Then strain through cheesecloth into a large stone jar.

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of lukewarm water. When dandelion liquid is cool, stir in the yeast mixture, raisins, sugar,lemon, and orange pieces. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cover and set aside.

Stir mixture every day for two weeks. Then strain liquid through cheesecloth and let stand for a day.

Strain one last time through cheeseclothe until the liquid is clear.

Pour the wine into sterilized bottles and seal.

Yield: Four quarts of wine. Label: Spring 2003, 2004, 2005, etc. Enjoy on a front porch with conversations long into the night.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post