Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Sound of Thunder movie
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sound of Thunder movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Groon, I may be in your boat. I could tell you what I gathered through a conversation with our local theater manager, but since no one else was posting gossip/opinions here, I didn't.

If Ray really said that movie (or any other) changes improved on his original story, that is close to a first! I've heard him many times stressing the importance of sticking to the material, and once walking out of a major movie deal precisely because someone threatened such "improvements"! (Except for the ending of the original "Fahrenheit 451," which he has praised.)

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with every one of the reviews related to the thread that flp451 offered above but still recommend the movie. There is some Ray Bradbury there, though very little, and that’s enough for me. Yes, it could have been a lot better—a whole lot better—and I’m angry as hell but what little Bradbury I can get on the screen, I'll take!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion said, "Groon, I may be in your boat. I could tell you what I gathered through a conversation with our local theater manager, but since no one else was posting gossip/opinions here, I didn't."

You have my curiosity now. I'd like it back please. Elaborate!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This theater manager is a very serious science fiction fan (avid Asimov reader) and can comment very intelligently on such things. He said he would not touch the movie. The buzz was that the two main actors got about $10 million apiece. I guess the movie was supposed to cost $100 million but somehow they only ended up with $80 million and ran out of money just as the special effects were to be done.

The actors may have had wind beforehand that it would be less than great, as they were said to have "phoned in" their performances. Oscar winner Ben Kingsley, in particular, "deliberately acted badly so as much as possible of his performance would be cut out."

He said they filmed it in bluescreen, so the dinosaurs are behind the actors, like in the '50s. One reviewer advised, "Wait till it comes on Sci Fi, then watch something else."

I've just returned from driving through a number of communities and it wasn't playing at any theater that I could see.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to take this opportunity to promote my short sci-fi film, "Solipsist", based on Fredric Brown's short story, about a dull, middle-aged officer worker named Walter B. Jehovah, who believes he is God. You can watch it by following the link below.

What does this have to do with Ray Bradbury? Nothing... directly. I am a big fan of his. In fact, I wanted to adapt his short story, "The Pedestrian", but when I couldn't get the rights to it, I went with the other story instead. I hope to be able to shoot it one day. It would make a great little film.

Here's the link:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2670993

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

I have a letter from Ray stating that the movie was to cost some $90 million dollars. This was from about two years ago when he first thought Pierce Brosnan was going to star in it.

There was no promotion down here in the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area. I don't get the paper every day, but don't remember seeing anything in the paper about the movie. There was nothing on television. Every night Letterman and Leno have SOMEONE on who is promoting their latest flick, why not Ed Burns and Kingsley?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Biplane, maybe this answers your question:

http://www.splicedonline.com/05reviews/soundthunder.html

You have to feel for Mr. B on these adaptive miscues. Kingsley's snowy pompadour should have been the final clue that the movie didn't have a chance "right from the get-go!" It never even received a mention in my neck of the woods.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank. I needed that. In fact this is the most comprehensive review that I have seen so far detailing the absurd aspects of the movie. I appreciate the reviewer's lamentation of poor Ray, writing a fantastic story, only to have it torn asunder and then expanded upon to the point of being ludicrous.

Say, we can always catch it in DVD as I do want to see it, only to see for myself how bad it is.

I have been reading a biography of Arthur C. Clarke and been ejoying it very much. Peter Hyams is mentioned several times, particularly in regard to becoming involved in the filming of his book 2010.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,

thanks for that link. This review makes some fine distinctions between the absurdities of the movie and the qualities of the source material. Of course, there are some implausible things in Ray's story, but it has integrity, which this movie doesn't seem to possess. (Of course, I haven't seen the movie, as it hasn't crossed the Atlantic yet, and probably never will.)

biplane1, 2010 is probably the best film Hyams ever made, though how he got that gig after the ridiculous Outland is beyond me. He seems to have no sense of the importance of plausibility and internal consistency, two vital elements in fantasy and SF in my book.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a little late for this...
...but there is still one day plus on ebay (as of 12/06/05 at 10PM Central time)...of bidding for the original pulp magazine where Bradbury's ''A Sound of Thunder'' first appeared. Check it out.
__

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCIFI-A-Sound-Of-Thunder-by-Ray-Bra...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey!!
Sorry, folks! I tried several times to put in the correct link..and the correct link doesn't link. So if anyone is truly interested, go to ebay and scroll to 'ART'...and when that humongous category opens, type in 'Ray Bradbury'. You'll find THAT listing...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post