Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    uncorrected proof
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

uncorrected proof
 Login/Join

posted
A week or so ago, I ordered Let's All Kill Constance from B&N used and out of print online. Upon arrival, I discovered that what I had received was an uncorrected proof. It said "not for sale" on it and its all a light blue color. My question is, how common is this for someone in the general public to receive a copy? Can advance copies of books be ordered in any way?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not only practically unheard-of, in fact, it is the first time I have EVER heard of such a thing! When I went to Bradbury's house, I had a box of items for him to sign. One was such a proof, and he immediately asked where I got it and declared it MUST have been from the publisher, meaning not ordered from the publishing house but being in contact with someone special at the publishing company, and he was right! You've received something much more rare and valuable at a bargain price! Now if you could only get him to sign it!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really?, I figured it was something the publisher sends out to reviewers and it wasn't that uncommon. I'm not kidding, I think I paid $1.99 plus shipping. I have many more on the way, some I have not read and some old gems that are first editions, I searched and sought out ones that were dirt cheap. Except for shipping that is.Frowner Now, as to him signing it. I sent three books in Jan. and he graciously not only signed and personalized them, but he threw in a 2002 L.A. One City One Book library bookmark which he also signed and personalized. And if that wasn't enough, I had brashly and boldly asked for him, if he was in the mood, to draw one of his awesome monster cartoons. And he did!!!, on the front of my return manila envelope. I wrote in my calendar for that day-, sent letter and books to Ray, may be presumptuous. I thought there was a fair chance that I mailled that stuff off to infinity. Then I felt I had to write him a thank you and I gave him a very old coin which I said was magic. NOW, my big question to you Dandelion is, do you think I should dare mail this off for him to sign as well? I treasure what I received already greatly. There is a question of being greedy and or intrusive. What is your honest opinion on the matter?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zowie! And may I even add "Jeepers!"
What a story! Did you send those through his publisher, or are you one of those privileged few to have the man's actual address?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi BralingII,

Your more than welcome to add "jeepers". I have his address. I swore an oath though and I had to eat the paper it was written on. 451 must be my interior temperature as well because it really burned me up inside. What do you all think I should do regarding the uncorrected proof, I mean should I push my good luck and send it?

posted Hide Post
I would send it to him with the offer that he keep it or sign and return it to you as he chooses.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a very good chance of receiving it back signed, but not 100%. If you really don't want to send the original, maybe you could find or make a bookplate and have him sign that to affix to the proof.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I've been in a fever over this tonight. I had to go to the library to pick up some dvd's and I told the librarian about it and she was awed and said it was very rare as well as you did, Dandelion. She told me to tell her of the outcome. I didn't save the package or the shipping receipt so I didn't know where it came from. I thought if I can find out and if they did have more copies of same, I could relay it to you all and maybe someone else could get one as well, because I don't beleive they knew what they were doing. I went back to B&N and reviewed my account summary and found the bookseller. After finding the name of the seller, I went back and did another book search and nothing. I also e-mailed the bookseller which was Corner Bookstore, Moravia, NY( was wrong, I paid $3.15) I will let you all know if I get a response. Thanks for your alls help Dandelion & Chapter 31. Its sound advice, I may put in a first edition October Country too, what the hey, if he chooses not to, I will understand and he is welcome to it. No loss after what he has already done. I may try and take a pic of it and show you it, then if it does come back I'll have before and after. Anyways, thanks for your help.

posted Hide Post
Ok, here is the pics of the uncorrected proof and I thought I would show you what he so generously did before. Quick question, I make mobiles, do you think he would like to have an original mobile? I'm not bragging, but they are really fine things. I'm just very nervous right now, unsure in alot of ways about this.

Thanks again!!

Having a rough time with the pics, its saying the picture exceeds the file size, just as well it would probably be boring. Will try to shrink down or take more later. Sorry bout that.

posted Hide Post
gonna try this

ray5.bmp (221 Kb, 11 downloads) jpg.

posted Hide Post
that worked, I had to cut it a little. Heres a couple more. this was what he put on the outside of my envelope.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

ray6.bmp (242 Kb, 8 downloads) jpg.

posted Hide Post
My puter is acting up, I smell burning plastic, and I'm tired so I will have to forgo this for now. Braling II, I hope I didn't offend you earlier, I may have jumped the gun when I told you I couldn't give that info out. It occurred to me later that you did not ask.

posted Hide Post
It seems to me a mobile would be a perfect gift. He loves every type of art, but the shelves, walls, and a good portion of the tables and floors, are used up. Might be a few spaces left on the ceilings, though....

posted Hide Post
Robot L, no offence taken at all, and what a great envelope doodle!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello to all,

Well, I have done it. I have mailed this new package this morning to R.B. including in it a handwritten heartfelt letter, my two books, and the mobile that I made. It was a bigger package than I thought with the mobile in it plus all I had to encapsulate it properly was duct tape, cost nine dollars to send in flight. I must say thank you to all of you on this site, I feel as if I'm among greatness. My personality is such that when I get enthused about something, I'm real susceptable to becoming consumed by it and entering it at a feverish pace sometimes to the detriment of those around me and closest to me. That is what once again for me has happened with this situation and this bulletin board. I'm a self-employed house painter and drywaller who has missed two days of work for staying up too late writing and or thinking about what to write to impress my new "friends". Last night, I was in such a state that when I finally went to bed, I couldn't sleep at all. I, feel like a character in a Ray Bradbury story. I got up at 1:30 a.m. eastern time and had to write my note to Ray, like a lemming, salmon, or a moth to the flame.

Here is my letter:

Dear Mr. Bradbury;

I'm rolling these laughing bones, hoping they come up boxcars. I can hear the whistle of the train right now, so I may be on the right track. It is long after midnight on a post valentine day morn which is ok as I prefer orange to pink. Here I am writing to you yet again, I will tell you why. After you sent my books back with the wonderful cartoon monster, I went on a tangent of sorts and started buying many of the books you wrote that I didn't have. I also came across some that I had but were first editions that I couldn't possibly live without. Most of these were used, bought online at very reasonable prices. Two were especially precious to me. One that I received was an uncorrected proof ofLet's All Kill Constance. I talked with Dandelion who mediates your great web site. She said it was very rare indeed to get a copy of one. I paid $3.15 for it plus shipping.(Don't think they knew what it was) They all recommend that I send it to you for an autograph. My other book that I treasure is The October Country with Mr. Mugnaini's breathtaking cover art- a first edition. I am so looking forward to the day when Farewell Summer comes out-I will be first in line to get it off the shelf. I read where you just wanted to be on the same shelf as your heroes Poe, Dickens, Welles, and all the rest. You have encircled, and surrounded them like a galaxy engulfing a smaller one. Thank You ever so much for doing this! I ask a smidgen of a favor. If granted, you will never again know of my existence, I swear on my own jar. (just joking, although that story did jar me) I cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye. Please sign my books and draw for me a monster blowing a dandelion to the wind in celebration of your soon to be released new book!

Your effervescently exuberant number one billionth fan;

Greg Westerman

Postscript:
An afterthought, I make mobiles. I decided to try and commission you by trading art for art, much like what George Garvey did with the poker chip by sending it to Matisse. Your artwork shimmers with feeling just like your words do. If you don't wish to do this I will understand, I leave it in your trustworthy hands. I know I'm on shakey ground, whatever you decide, I want you to have my mobile.

That is it. I am from now on, going to limit my time on here to mainly weekends after I am done with all my duties around here. Dandelion, especially thanks for your help. If you want, e-mail me and I'll send all six or seven of my pictures including a pic of the mobile I sent Mr. B. Its-gregw451@aol.com. I must say ado for now.
p.s., just got the e-mail from that bookstore that sent proof, sadly there are no more to be had.
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Robot L, no offence taken at all, and what a great envelope doodle!