Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Long After Midnight's Getting through Sunday, Somehow. Anyone read this story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long After Midnight's Getting through Sunday, Somehow. Anyone read this story?
 Login/Join

posted
Is this my sugar people story that i have been looking for?. If not can you tell me what its about. so i know that i wasted 12 bucks on the book before it comes!

Posts: 17 | Location: Staten Island, NY USA | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but I don't recall Sugar People in "Getting Through Sunday Somehow", but that doesn't necessarily mean you wasted 12 bucks on the book. If the sole objective of the purchase was to find sugar people in this story, then perhaps you did waste 12 bucks (unless there are sugar people at some subliminal or metaphorical level I missed); but if you are looking for some good reading, you can hardly go wrong with Ray Bradbury.

It's a Dublin story about an American writer who runs into a woman who plays harp outside. When he tries to tell her how beautiful her playing is, but that she should play inside, she is unable to play it right anymore. He is bored with Sundays in Dublin as he says there is nothing to do. "Even God must be bored with days like this, in northern lands." (Of course, if one assumes Sunday is God's day, it would be a bit ironic if God were bored with it.)

In the bar, he runs into a man who is "...engaged in finding the pattern of his life in the depths of this glass." He lectures the writer on ingratitude for the free gifts of life and nature; and on the fact that he has become more and more selfish:

"The older I get," said the man, "the less I do for people. The less I do, the more I feel a prisoner at the bar. Smash and grab, that's me."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-07-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post