Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    short story/may be by Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short story/may be by Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know the title of a short story about a man who rents an apartment containing a draped birdcage, which he must never touch or disturb. He immediately becomes prosperous, but is desperately curious about the contents of the birdcage, from which he hears intriguing noises of activity. One day, he peeks, and right away the noises cease, his good luck goes away, and soon a sign appears on the cage:"For Rent" or maybe "To Let." I would very much like to read this story again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm not familiar with that one but i'd like to be!

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds Russian...maybe Gogol?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's "Housing Problem" by Henry Kuttner. Ray wrote the introduction to his "Best of" collection.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: Thank you! After 38 years, I found the birdcage story, "Housing Problem," by Henry Kuttner, in a shabby paperback in my own collection. It's in Timeless Stories for Today and Tomorrow, introduction by Ray Bradbury. Original publication was 1952; my copy is the 3rd Printing, 1967. It was well worth rereading, although my faulty memory had changed some of the details....the original is even better. On my Web search, I discovered a good site with thousands of short stories: www.logan.com/loganberry.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loganberry Books is a great source, and Abebooks is another one: http://forums.abebooks.com/abecom/start/

Now please to discover the new Ray Bradbury board, where you will be welcomed: https://raybradburyboard.com/eve

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post