Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Questions about Mr. Bradbury selling newspapers

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about Mr. Bradbury selling newspapers
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I have a few questions about Mr. Bradbury's tenure selling newspapers in the late thirties and early forties and I was hoping someone could help me.

1) What newspaper(s) did he sell?

2) Was he under contract with that paper?

3) Did he have a bag or a stand?

4) Most importantly (for my research): What corners did he work in Los Angeles?

5) Also, what branch of the public library did he go to when writing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Zom

There is an actual photo of Ray selling papers on the street corner(s) in Los Angeles, in the book, 'The Illustrated Life', by Jerry Weist. The book is available at most libraries. I've heard the street names mentioned, but don't have the names off hand. I believe they are mentioned in the same book, however.

Not sure about the newspaper, probably a major one like the LA Times.

Others will have to answer the remaining questions...

Hey! Dandelion!! This ball is in your court.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 11-12-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nard, I'll try to pick up that book or order it through interlibrary loan.

posted Hide Post
Greetings,

Just spotted these questions and have a minute to answer them:

1/ The Los Angeles Daily News

2/ Bought the corner from a friend after he graduated from high school. Borrowed the money from his Dad to pay for it. Yes, he had an arrangemnet with the paper.

3/No stand. Just held he papers.

4/ Olympic and Norton. "The Ray Bradbury Companion" also lists 10th and Normandie. This is incorrect. Ray only sold papers on one corner.

Cheers,

SW

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam, you are, as the saying goes, "the Man". thanks for the help. I've ordered the Illustrated Life from the library. Now to find out what buildings stood on that corner in 1938! Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Dr. Zom:

On the corner of Olympic and Norton, in 1938, there was a plumber and a small grocer/pharmacy. Out of curiosity, what are you doing this research for?

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a writer working on my first novel. It's set in 1938 in Los Angeles and I thought I'd put Mr. Bradbury in a minor role as a way of tipping my hat to his career and work. The main character is a cop/wanna-be writer. If it ever gets published (here's hoping) I plan on asking Mr. Bradbury for his blessing. He is, of course, one of the good guys.

posted Hide Post
Almost forgot, if anyone has any suggestions for research books on 1930s LA, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Dr. Zom: That sounds very cool. When you get it done, please post information. I bought Greg Miller's book when he posted the info out here. In fact, I think he also has a book of poetry out, now. Need to check into that.

Sam: Good to "see" you out here and hope your book is going well.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post