Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Need help about Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help about Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
I'm Italian and I'm studing American and English literature at university. At the moment I'm doing a very important work (it's the final paper I have to write to take the degree) about Ray Bradbury and Fahrenheit 451. I need your help about some things: 1) I've read somewhere about a play taken from the novel; does it really exist? Has it ever been played on a stage? Where can i find it? 2)There are some similarities between the novel Fahrenheit 451 and some short stories written by Bradbury himself, for examples "The Pedestrian" and "Pillar of Fire". I've found the first one, but at the moment in Italy it's impossible to find the second one, because the book "S is for Space" is out of print, in Italian or in English in Europe. Can anybody help me about that? 3) Do you think that the novel Fahrenheit can be classified as science fiction? I found a lot of articles about this topic, but I would like to read your opinion too. 4)If anybody would like to suggest me anything interesting to talk about in this paper i'm going to write (something related with Fahrenheit 451, of course) I'll appreciate that a lot. :-))
Sorry if my English is not perfect.. and I hope you'll help me. :-))
Donatella

Posts: 3 | Location: italy | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi dona. Your English is better than mine! (I'm American).

1. I believe the most recent production of 451 was at a local theater (well, local to ME). Follow this link:
http://www.falcontheatre.com/shows/451/index.shtml

I don't know if the play version has been published. A scene from the play was published in RAY BRADBURY AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE, which just came out in America not too long ago.

2. I can't attest to the short story, but Pilar of Fire was also a play. In Bradbury's introduction to PILAR OF FIRE AND OTHER PLAYS (out of print but I just picked up a used copy on the net) he says "This story, this character, this play, I see now, were rehearsals for my later novel and film Fahrenheit 451. If Montag is a burner of books who wakens to reading and becomes obsessed with saving mind-as-printed-upon-matter, then Lantry is the books themselves, he is the thing to be saved. In an ideal world, he and Montag would have met, set up shop and lived happily ever after: library and saver of libraries, book and reader, ideea and flesh to preserve the idea."

I'm sure others will jump in to help with your other questions. Good luck on your paper--please share your insights when you are done!

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply. I hope that some other will read this post and reply to this thread.

>>Hi dona. Your English is better than mine! (I'm American).

I dont think so .. :-)) but thank you!

>>>1. I believe the most recent production of 451 was at a local theater (well, local to ME). Follow this link: http://www.falcontheatre.com/shows/451/index.shtml

I've followed the link; now i'm sure that there is a play based on Fahrenheit 451. But anybody knows when it was written? when it was first represented?
I need at least this information about the play, even if I can't find the text of the play.

>>>2. I can't attest to the short story, but Pilar of Fire was also a play. In Bradbury's introduction to PILAR OF FIRE AND OTHER PLAYS (out of print but I just picked up a used copy on the net) he says "This story,[cut]

I've read these same words in one of the books I'm reading at the moment to write the paper; that's why I'm so interested in this short story. I know it was collected in the book "S is for Space", but in Italy it's impossible to find it. Can anybody send me by e-mail just this story?

If someone is interested, I found the story "The fireman", wich was the starting point for Bradbury to write Fahrenheit 451.

>>>I'm sure others will jump in to help with your other questions. Good luck on your paper--please share your insights when you are done!

Well, I hope so. Can any other person help me?
You could answer to this question at least: do you think that Fahrenheit is a science fiction book?

dona

P.s. About the paper I'm writing... it will be in Italian... but if someone will be interested I could try to translate some parts of it in English, or to sum it.But first.. I have to finish it! :-)))

[This message has been edited by dona (edited 02-19-2003).]

Posts: 3 | Location: italy | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might look for a used copy of "S is for Space" on amazon.co.uk or abebooks.com -- I know international shipping and payment can be an issue with used book dealers but you might get lucky.

Also, if no one else is replying to this topic it may be because this board gets lots of "need help" type posts and it's usually a young student who has a book report due the next day and they haven't even read the book.

Try posting a new topic(s) with a specific question and you might get more responses. I'm just guessing.

Good luck.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury has described Fahrenheit 451 as science fiction, so if he does, I do.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Farenheit 451 is the only book of his that Ray Bradbury identified as Science Fiction. He distinguishes Sci-Fi as something that could reasonably be extrapolated from current technology/knowledge. Most of his other stuff he considered fantasy.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Fahrenheit 451" was first written in play form in 1955 but not published until May, 1986, by Dramatic Publishing Co., nor staged until July 26-December 1979, adaptation by Bradbury staged at the Studio Theatre Playhouse, Los Angeles. Information from William F. Nolan and Donn Albright, whose motto is: check...recheck...and check again!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pillar of Fire," that's a long one. In the hardcover edition of "S is for Space" it runs from page 39 to page 83. The only way I can think of that we could e-mail it to you is if a lot of us (the more the better) who have the book agree to each type a section, and we'd have to agree in advance with what WORDS we'd begin and end--"from the top of page -- to the bottom of page --" won't do because the pages would be different in the paperback. You'd have to just trust that we copied it right--you might be better off trying to get the book. If "S is for Space" is not available where you are, have you tried "Classic Stories 1" and "Classic Stories 2"? It ought to appear in one of those--anyone know?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pillar of Fire is also included in "A Medicine for Melancholy," which has recently been released by Perennial in a kind of quality paperback edition.

"A Medicine for Melancholy" Ray Bradbury. Perennial Press/Harper Collins, NY. Reprinted in Perennial in 2001.

I know this is available through Amazon.com.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Studio Theater, Fahrenheit 451...
Hey! I was at that one....I didn't know that it was the first stage production....
There have been tons of college productions. One back in the early '80's was at San Diego State University, March 31, 1981. I should know. Was unable to go for some reason.... and 'still' have the original tickets.....

Mr. Dark: Did you know that your above post...was posting #451 ?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-20-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do I get a party? Or do we all just commiserate with me as I have no social life?!

posted Hide Post
H E Y E V E R Y B O DY !!

It's PARTY�TIME for "Mr. Dark"....!!

(Hmm. Exactly how do you do that on-line???)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um, I think I'm doing that right now. Let me check. . .

Yep, I'm partying right now. Woo Hoo!

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, the bad news is that people have READ 451 of my postings. I hope this is not mentally damaging to anyone "out there"!

A virtual party . . . well, it certainly can't be any less fun than a virtual social life. Since the virtual party is celebratory in nature, I will virtually celebrate!

posted Hide Post
Don't worry, Mr. Dark, I've read all your posts and I haven't been dentally mamaged at all.