Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Mr. Bradbury's Birthday, Today 8-22

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mr. Bradbury's Birthday, Today 8-22
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Mr. Bradbury:

I am writing on behalf of my brother Steve (one of those rare individuals who still does not own a PC). He asked me to wish you a happy birthday and a healthful and productive year. He also wanted to let you know that you were one of his primary influences in inspiring his interest in literature as a young boy and that you remain one of his favorite authors.

I would also like to add that "Fahrenheit 451" is one of my own favorite novels (although I embarrassingly misspelled the title in a college paper; it was written for one of my favorite professors, who enjoyed teasing me whenever possible about that minor mishap). That professor is, sadly, no longer with us, but he greatly appreciated your work and he encouraged me to do some of my own best writing. Which brings us back to why it's important to contact those people, particularly the authors we admire so greatly, who have been influential in our lives while they are still around to receive our accolades.

I am sure that my brother has many novels and short stories that are among his own favorites, but for now, he wanted to pass on his birthday wishes to you. Perhaps when he visits me in the near future, he can register on my computer and provide some input of his own about your works.

It appears (and rightly so) that many other readers are in agreement with us that you are one of the great American writers of our time.

Here's hoping that you check this message board periodically and receive this message in time for this birthday greeting. I know (from what my brother has told me) that you do not travel by air (of course, these days, I wouldn't blame you), but I hope that you do have convenient access to a PC.

Take care, and again, best wishes for a happy birthday and another healthy and prosperous year.

Sincerely,
Cheryl (and brother Steve)

[This message has been edited by Cheryl (edited 08-22-2002).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post