Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need help to understand the article by Steven Dimeo

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help to understand the article by Steven Dimeo
 Login/Join

posted
I've been working on LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT, not only the short story but the whole book, I came across this article by Stven Dimeo "Man and Apollo: Religion in Bradbury's Science Fantasies", he quotes B's words on the ss "The Miracles of Jamie" does anyone know from where he took the quotations, the edition where the article is belongs to Olander and Greenberg, page 159. And there it says that Jamie is trying to save his sister, but in the ss he tries to save his mother. I am confused , can it be two different versions of the same ss? Can anyone help me?

ana

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have access to Dimeo's article, so can't comment on what he's saying. I do have "The Miracles of Jamie" in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT, and in this version, he is trying to save his mom.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 08-29-2003).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr Dark, Dimeo's article mentions an interview with B in 1969, do you know this interview? I dont have a skanner but you can give me your adress and I'll send a copy to you if you want.

ana

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ana Mafalda:

Several months ago, I initiated some searches for books on critical writings of Bradbury. By coincidence, today I got an old library copy of "Ray Bradbury: Writers of the 21st Century Series". This includes the article by Steven Dimeo. I read it tonight.

"The Miracles of Jamie" is reprinted in the new "100 Celebrated Stories of Ray Bradbury" anthology that just came out. In this version, as well as the "Long After Midnight" version, the person he is trying to help is his mother. Because it refers to Jamie's mother in both, I'm wondering if Steven Dimeo (or the publisher) simply has a typo (where he refers to the sister, instead of the mother). I don't have an earlier version of the story, so I can't say for sure.

As to the quote, in footnote #3 (page 224 of my book), it states: "Bradbury's comments, which appear without footnotes, are taken from an interview, Nov. 15, 1969." Because the quote you reference is not attributed in any footnote, I would assume it comes out of that interview.

Under footnote #1, Dimeo cites his doctoral dissertation, "The Mind and Fantasies of Ray Bradbury (Univ of Utah, 1970). If the interview's text IS published anywhere, and based on the fact that the dissertation is from 1970, and the interview is from 1969, I would guess it may be included there. I have not seen the dissertation, however, so this is pure speculation on my part.

I don't know if this is helpful or not.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! it helped a lot!

ana