Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    illustration question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

illustration question
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone happen to know the name of the illustrator and the illustration used for "the flying machine" in the S is for space reissue? i would assume that it is the same as the original 1966 doubleday version. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3 | Location: highland, IN | Registered: 20 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have access to either of those two books, but if it is a line drawing then it is likely to be Joe Mugnaini. He certainly did the illustration for the story when it appeared in Golden Apples of the Sun (he illustrated the whole book, in fact), and has been one of the artists most closely associated with Ray.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does it happen to look like a sketch of a guy with a primitive hang-glider? and, if so, do you know if prints were ever sold, or if this was only used as a bradbury illustration. thanks again.

Posts: 3 | Location: highland, IN | Registered: 20 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the illustration I'm referring to (taken from Golden Apples of the Sun). If this is the one you're referring to, it was done specifically for the story by Joe Mugnaini. I don't know whether any prints etc were made, but I do know that some of Mugnaini's original drawings have come up for sale. (I know someone who owns one from another story in Golden Apples).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

ImageCIMG0884.JPG (105 Kb, 25 downloads) Flying Machine Illo

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, the image is pretty dark, at least on my screen.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unfortunately, that's not the same illustration as the one from "s is for space." i'll try to nab a scanner from a friend so i can throw it up here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Phil, the image is pretty dark, at least on my screen.

Sorry Braling II, but I took the photo with one hand while holding the book open with the other, and didn't have time to Photoshop it!

haborym, I would be interested in seeing your illustration. If it's not the Mugnaini one, it's probably one I've not seen before.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
It seems like an illustration that is on a letterhead of Ray's. I have posted a letter to an exchange student that has such an illustration (I believe) but since I am at the office I can not access it.

I will check it out when I get home and post it if it is pertinent.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Illustration? Could this be related to the one in question, although it doesn't seem to be a hang-glider, but wings or some such contraption?

ImageF451_Letter-3.jpg (284 Kb, 27 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is definitely a Mugnaini illustration.

The title of the illustration is likely the name of the short story for which it was used. Joe Mugnaini tended to name the illustrations based on the stories.

As far as prints are concerned, I'm not aware of any that were made of that particular piece although it is possible that a small number of prints were made prior to the publishing of the finished piece. I don't recall having seen that one in the Mugnaini Estate archives.

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years Ray has used a variety of letterheads for his correspondence, several of which I have received over the years.

This is one example, but I am not sure who the artist might be as there is no indication or signature. It almost looks like Uncle Einar! Could this be by Joe Mugnaini?

If you might be to identfy the artist please let me know jetjagger as I am cuirous.

Imageillustration.jpg (203 Kb, 22 downloads)

posted Hide Post
biplane 1, the letterhead illustration is indeed by Joe Mugnaini and is from THE HALLOWEEN TREE. I have a limited edition etching of this drawing, signed by both Mugnaini and Ray Bradbury, framed and on the wall of my study.

Posts: 2481 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard-

Do you have any additional information on the Moundshroud lithograph you have? Is there any information about the edition size, date, etc? Any info you have would be great.

The size of the print would help, too.

Thanks.

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jetJagger, the print was published in 1970. It is embossed intaglio. It is small in size, measuring 4 3/4 inches by 6 3/4 inches (12.1 cm by 17.1 cm). It is titled in pencil, "The Halloween Tree", and signed in pencil by both Joe Mugnaini and Ray Bradbury, beneath the image. Unfortunately, the edition size is not noted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2481 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard-

Would yoube able to post an image of the print? I'm really curious to see it since it predates the publication of HT.

Thanks.

--
jJ