Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    my new bookmark

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my new bookmark
 Login/Join

posted
I have to share this with you all. A while back, I had asked what everyone's favorite bookmark was and I was pleasantly surprised with all the varied and unique answers. Earlier I bought several sheets of the new childrens book 39 cent stamps and at the top is like a heading sticker with the characters on it that will peel off to form a sticker thats a good size for a bookmark. Well, I placed it in the corner of a larger bookmark, then I placed one on the other side and cut out the excess. Its kinda cool for free, thought I'd share. Other ideas welcome.

Dandelion, wherefore art thou???

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to be appreciated!

I've done that, too, when they brought out the Civil War stamps. Had a beautiful Mary Chesnut one I used to bookmark her diary, but my cat was in his chewing phase then, so it's full of holes.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, I have that whole sheet in my stampbook. Glad to see you back. I second what someone did about all the hard work you've done in this crisis.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: When I tried calling you yesterday you were visiting a friend. I hope that you had a good time. I wanted to cry in my beer, so to speak, due to the absence of our Ray Bradbury Web Site as we know it. I called Frank and he told me that it was back.

Great days are here again!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I had a reeeeeaaal good time! I'll tell you all about it.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dandelion, wherefore art thou???
Nitpick: "wherefore" means "why", not "where".

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, neat nitpick.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nitpick: To fuss over or find fault with. A fussing over trivial details, esp. to find fault.

Thank you both.

posted Hide Post
Do I smell something fishy, from Denmark perhaps? No I think it’s from the carping Chapter 31 contributed to. Don’t feel bad, Robot Lincoln, I think you’re on firm ground—in good company anyway—because I believe Shakespeare used the phrase in the same context you did.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, "where" would be back to my place of origin, "wherefore" would be to buy a car.

posted Hide Post
Walloon is correct.
When Juliet asked, "...wherefore art thou Romeo?" it was in the context of the battle between the Montagues and Capulets. In other words, why was he a Montague and she a Capulet. Hence the ensuing "What's in a name?" part of her soliloquy. She was NOT asking "where" he was, as she had no idea he was anywhere nearby; in fact she assumed he would'nt be there because of the danger.
"Wherefore" has ALWAYS meant "Why" and nothing else.
In fact, did you know the Norwegian for "why" is
"hvorfor" ?
As they sang in Gilbert & Sullivan's "H.M.S. Pinnafore", "Never mind the why and wherefore..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, that means, wherefore am I wrong? Because I didn’t know the play? Well, there’s the rub. I shouldn’t have sympathized with Robot Lincoln when I didn’t know the territory. Good one Braling II.

posted Hide Post
I endeavor to give satisfaction, sir.

(By the way, I say this often because it's one of my favourite Jeeves-isms.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post