Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New movie - CHRYSALIS
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New movie - CHRYSALIS
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It would seem.

And with good reason - it's an awful film made by a Jew-hating Roman Catholic Latin rite sectist.

Is sectist a word?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sect´ist
n.1. One devoted to a sect; a sectary.

Sectary is a good word.

-The Logophile and Verbiphage

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought so, but the little built-in website spell-checker thingy said no, however I persisted.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding. I am very, very sorry you think that way. Why do you consider yourself a Christian? I never see any evidence of it in your postings. You cannot understand redemption and not see this film and weep. You cannot understand "by his stripes you were healed", and not weep with every blow on his back.

What did you do laugh at the film? You are a sick puppy dog if so. If it is true what Ray said about the film, then that is very sad and alarmingly self-centered.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Why do you consider yourself a Christian?

I'm just glad that the measuring rod of determining ones Christianity is not gauged by ones acceptance of Mr Mel Gibson's film!

quote:
I never see any evidence of it in your postings.

Wow. Either you haven't been reading my postings or you're blind. And I don't think you're blind (literally).

quote:
You cannot understand "by his stripes you were healed", and not weep with every blow on his back.

You cannot understand midrash and not weep with every blow struck against right-thinking with regards to truly understanding the scriptures.

quote:
What did you do laugh at the film?

No. I cringed. It was one of the most violent, disturbing films I've seen. And I inwardly wept that so many people do and will take this filmmaker's extreme right-wing version of the passion story as literal.

From a filmmaking perspective, stylistically, it was a terrific achievement. Theologically, it set Christianity back hundreds of years.

But anyway, we're talking about Chrysalis here, so off to the Orange Crop!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: all nonsense!! Once again!!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the film, but I was told that, save for the non-middle-eastern Jesus and inaccurate crucifixion details, it followed the gospels rather closely.

Was there a lot of "midrash" on the part of Gibson, or did it have the same shortcomings as the original Passion of the Christ play?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyway, back to topic.

Video of the second premiere.

This features a fascinating exchange between jkt and Mr B on what time the supper reservations should be made.

There are things to be said for both sides, but Mr B ultimately wins with the argument that later is better for seating purposes.

Oh, and there was a film shown that night as well.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

After the screening, Ray was asked to say a word or two about the film. His word? "I think Mel Gibson should burn his film on Jesus Christ and release this one instead!"

I've heard Ray say some darn odd stuff before, but this one is stupid. So what's the story? Ray is against burning of books, circa Fahrenheit 451, but not aghast at burning movie films?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
I've heard Ray say some darn odd stuff before, but this one is stupid.

Well now, to use a term like "stupid" is going a bit far.

I'd stop now if I were you.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
something tells me he wasn't being serious about burning the film?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

You're on the right track there. Some folks just take everything too seriously.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:

You're on the right track there. Some folks just take everything too seriously.

Spaulding. Oh, stop it! Of course Bradbury meant it. He has been angry with Gibson ever since Gibson decided not to do Fahrenheit. Ray has made several derogatory remarks about Gibson in the past. Those certainly were not made in jest. Some think it cost him the film being made.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Some think it cost him the film being made.

The film will be made. By Darabont, a better filmmaker.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Brad...id=1272501998&sr=8-1

Ray Bradury's Chrysalis available for pre-order on Amazon.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post