Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need some help

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some help
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone please assist me in finding Ray Bradbury's address or e-mail address, or some other form of contact.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost anyone's address can be found by going to www.stararchive.com and searching by name or alphabetically.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll have to google it, but it's easy to find. I have had the address for over a quarter of a century and was under the impression that it was common knowledge, especially among this group. In keeping with the policy of this board, however, it cannot be posted.

Bear in mind that he doesn't like long letters. Keep it short and enclose a SASE and he just may reply!

The only email address you're likely to find is through his publisher - RB eschews the internet and email and prefers a letter or phone call.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You all will never believe how I "gleaned" his address. I was looking at my newly bought copy of Bradbury An Illustrated Life late last year which is excellent and chock full of great pictures. I think Jerry Weist did an excellent job. Anyway, I was looking through it and I noticed a picture of Ray taken in 1957 in his home office. Then I saw another taken in 1994 and you can tell it is the same office, just more modern and full of more stuff. I remembered earlier seeing within the book an example of Ray's wonderful cartoon doodle on a letter with a letterhead on it that had his home address printed on it. I had to use a magnifying glass to get it clearly. I surmised that he must still be at that address. I took a chance and wrote him a letter telling him that I have been reading his work since fourth grade where I hid S is for Space under my school desk while I secretly read. I also enclosed three of my old paperbacks, F-451, Martian Chronicles, and Dandelion wine asking if he would sign them. Oh, I told him about my kids and that one of my sons enjoys reading his stuff too. And I asked if he would draw a doodle for me. My wife thought I was nuts for sending my books off into space so to speak. About two weeks later, my self addressed stamped package came back home. I couldn't believe it for there on the cover of the manila envelope was a frowning monster doodle that Ray drew. Inside, all three books were personalized with little notes and his signature. In Martian Chronicles, he wrote "Greg, Onward to Mars, love Ray Bradbury". He even included a bookmark from the L.A. library with a note "To Greg and kids, love Ray Bradbury". The notes had exclamation marks on them from one to three!!! I think he likes exclamation marks. One interesting thing I noticed, I remembered on Martian Chronicles, it had a store sticker partially covering the drawing of his face. I could see where he personally scraped it off the cover of the book, it left fingernail indentations from his hand, which I thought was kinda cool. I have written him two other times and he always writes back with so much grace, I can't say enough about his humility and love of people, fans, and the world at large. What an example he is to us all. I didn't know if it was okay in the past to relay this information, so I've always kept that part to myself, I guess the cat is out of the bag. Thanks Ray!!! I love you man!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IT HAS BEEN A STANDING UNDERSTANDING ON THIS BOARD THAT MR. BRADBURY'S ADDRESS NOT BE POSTED. IF YOU WISH TO GO THRU OTHER CHANNELS ON THE INTERNET TO GET THAT INFO THAT IS YOUR CHOICE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be a good time to remind everyone that I maintain an FAQ (frequently asked questions) about Ray Bradbury here.

My advice in the FAQ is that you write to Ray via his publisher (this is a standard, accepted method for contacting authors). The address is:

HarperCollins Publishers Inc
10 East 53rd Street
New York
NY 10022
USA

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eschews,....God Bless You. lol Good word Doug. I think everyone here knows you meant well, so in that regard, thank you.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, think that out of respect for Ray, that his address not be openly given out. It is hard to believe that I have known it for 39 years having had the opportunity to first visit him in March of 1967.

And Robot Lincoln, Ray is just the best for answering mail. And like he says, if someone sends you a love letter you have to answer back.

In the early years I would just write and he would reply using his own envelope and stamps. But in later years I send stamped, addressed envelopes to make it easier for him to do this.

I told him one time that someone should come out with a book of just HIS illustrations and he laughed. But it would be a neat idea.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As has been the case with several other authors, I learned Ray's home address when he answered a letter from there which had been addressed care of his publisher.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Ray is just the best for answering mail. And like he says, if someone sends you a love letter you have to answer back.

In the early years I would just write and he would reply using his own envelope and stamps. But in later years I send stamped, addressed envelopes to make it easier for him to do this.

I told him one time that someone should come out with a book of just HIS illustrations and he laughed. But it would be a neat idea.

It's all true - he still gets about forty letters a day, and tries to answer many of them. Just a heckuva nice guy.

Last August, I had sent him a birthday card, and since almost two months had passed, I was beginning to wonder if I'd get anything back (I always had before - usually much sooner), so the second week in October here comes back my SASE with a priority stamp on it no less! And some more of that wonderful original artwork. He drew the same art on things he signed at 4E's birthday party in November.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"