Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    can any one tell me when was the first timeBradbury flew?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can any one tell me when was the first timeBradbury flew?
 Login/Join

posted
I need to know the year when Bradbury flew for the first time, it is very important and urgent,and I also must have a source to quote it for my work, if any of you could help me I would be very grateful.

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AH, just read the entire article, on my post few scrolls down....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 09-11-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it depends on what you mean by "fly".

In William F. Nolen's "The Ray Bradbury Companion," an entry under the year 1968 states:

"Leaves ground for first time as he flies in Goodyear blimp along California coast, 'herding whales.'"

{Nolan, William F. THE RAY BRADBURY COMPANION. Gale Research, Detroit Michigan. 1975.)

Nard's story is more interesting, but I think this may actually qualify as the first time he "flew".

P.S. Nard: Ana is requiring the source so she can document it. Where is this story told?

P.P.S. Ana: I received your copy of the essay today. Thanks for sending it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
keep scrolling

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the facts of his first airplane flight, TIME Magazine, November 8, 1982, page 53, has the definitive details!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you're getting the hang of it,
keep on scrolling...

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help, I've already sent an e-mail to TIME magazine but they haven't answered, so I will quote you in my work, because most books I have on Bradbury mention that he doesn't fly, because they are old editions even the most recent don't mention it. Can any of you send me a copy of the article if you have it?

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My quote was the complete entry, and I provided the book's info. So you should be set on mine.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will Mr Dark, Thank you! could you send me the copy of the page where it says that and the copy of the book's references, because we have to make the bibliography differently, thank you!

posted Hide Post
ALRIGHT. You made it !!

Okay, here's the article quoted above...of the history of Ray's flying ambitions...
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/9923/ibrad.html

posted Hide Post
Thaaaaaaaaanks!!!!
How I understand what B feels when flying!

posted Hide Post
Nard: I enjoyed the article.

Ana: Email me the complete address, exactly as I have to put it on the envelope and I'll get this off as soon as I can.

I have a return address, but it is handwritten, and a bit beat up. I want to make sure I address it correctly.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
If my ISP ever starts working for me and I can figure out how to send images on
one of these newfangled things, possibly I could scan the TIME item and send it to Nard to post on his site. I'd hate to just quote it as the accompanying photo is really priceless!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
I remember seeing the photo. Ray's terrified expression for the camera was actually exactly how he probably was feeling. TIME has it somewhere. Wonder if they'd let it be reproduced for free?

posted Hide Post
I don't know what constitutes "fair use." I assume the reason TIME ran the story was that whoever took the photo was connected enough to get it to their attention. Perhaps it was not a passenger on the flight, but a reporter in the area who'd been notified and was allowed on the plane while boarding to take the photo. That picture (Ray's grin is actually gritted teeth!) really makes the item.