Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help needed urgently with text

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed urgently with text
 Login/Join

posted
I have the text of a poem by Ray Bradbury that my late father-in-law copied by hand with the request that it be read at his funeral. I need to read this the day after tomorrow (Wednesday 24th June) at his funeral. I am concerned that the text I have may be incorrect and hope that some kind and knowledgeable person could verify it for me, as at this stage I have no other practical way of checking it. Specifically it is 'cruise' in the second line that bothers me. I will type the text below. Your help will be gratefully received.

Tread lightly to the music,
Nor cruise the tender grass,
Life passes in the weather
As the sand storms down the glass.

Drift easy in the shadows,
Bask lazy in the sun,
Give thanks for thirsts and quenches,
For dines and wines and wenches.

Give thought to life soon over,
Tread softly on the clover,
To bruise not any lover.

To exit from the living,
Salute and make thanksgiving,
Then sleep when all is done,
That sleep so dearly won.

My thanks in advance.

Tim.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim,

the poem is part of Bradbury's short story "Getting Through Sunday Somehow", which you can find in three of Bradbury's books:
1. Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
2. Green Shadows, White Whale
3. Long After Midnight

Correction to the text you have:

line 2: it's "BRUISE the tender grass" (not "cruise")

line 11: it's "SO bruise not any lover" (not "to bruise"

line 12: it's "SO exit" (not "to exit")

Good luck with the reading, and my condolences on your loss.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your assistance Phil. I have amended my text accordingly.

Tim.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim, also, condolences on your loss. Phil, thanks for helping out in a timely manner.

It continues to amaze me how many lives Bradbury has touched. Really amazing.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post