Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Rare/sell/ebay? 1946 2-mags 'Electrocution'/'Her Eyes,Lips,Limbs' Wm Elliott (pseudo)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare/sell/ebay? 1946 2-mags 'Electrocution'/'Her Eyes,Lips,Limbs' Wm Elliott (pseudo)
 Login/Join

posted
Several years ago, I came across a ton of old magazines here in Nashville, TN and among them were several ladies/fashion mags titled "The Californian" dated 1946. Two issues contain short stories by William Elliott (a Bradbury pseudonym): "Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs" (June, 1946) and "The Electrocution" (August, 1946). I'm guessing these 60 yrs old magazines are rather scarce. I'm not a Bradbury collector, so I think I might sell them on Ebay sometime in the next few weeks since Christmas is approaching and it might make a nice gift for someone. Last week I sold a May, 1947 Mademoiselle Magazine (which contained Bradbury's short story "The Cistern) for $102 on Ebay to a Bradbury collector in Japan. These 1946 "Californian" magazines are in very, very nice condition. Does anyone have any ideas on their value?

Posts: 5 | Location: bayntiques@comcast.net Brentwood, TN | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story "Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs" (love that title!) has never been collected or anthologized anywhere, so that is indeed rare. "The Electrocution" was collected in Ray Bradbury's book Quicker Than the Eye (1996).

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutetly true. I have "Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs" only in very scratchy photocopy form. Any collector would love to get any of these! Not that this should become a place to advertise sales, but if you do place these on eBay you might at least mention it here in this thread.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What great information from you both! How should I post it on this board when I am ready to sell it on eBay so as to not break the rules?
... ... Selling books / paper items is just a hobby I started about 10 years ago and you know the part I love the most? It's doing the research on a book's authors. I've learned so much. Seeing Bradbury's huge following is really impressive. Now, I must take the time to learn more about Ray Bradbury and read some of his books.

Posts: 5 | Location: bayntiques@comcast.net Brentwood, TN | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to be of help! How exciting to be looking forward to reading your first Ray Bradbury book. May I recommend The Vintage Bradbury, his first "best of" collection. Just enough stories, and variety, to whet your appetite for more. Follow that up with The Martian Chronicles or Dandelion Wine.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you're ready to sell it just post a reply to this thread.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm quite excited about having found the group of people who would most cherish these magazines, or rather, cherish Mr. Bradbury's stories inside. These magazines, especially the one with "Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs" (June, 1946) NEEDS to be in the hands of a true collector where they can be appreciated. Hey, maybe you could even get it signed? Well, who knows... I'll be getting these ready to go on eBay about a week after Thanksgiving. I'll post again when the auction has begun. Stay safe, everyone. Count your blessings on Thanksgiving day (and everyday) ... B.

posted Hide Post
I've decided to let these magazines go and I really hope someone on this wonderful discussion board (you've all been so nice and helpful) will end up with them. They are on eBay and the auctions will end on December 15. I'm very hopeful these items will end up in a good home. See auctions 6586366479 (June, 1946) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6586366479 ... and 6586373504 (Aug, 1946) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6586373504 .