Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Just What Have We Been Doing with Our Lives (Photo)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
More coming up - supped with Mr B last evening on cheese and wine after the play and had a good discussion on matters of film (he told me that he just signed the contract with a Russian company to film "Dandelion Wine"), politics and religion.

He talked his small philosophies and I talked my large ones. When he told me about the D Wine thing, I reminded him that it had been done in Russia some years back (unofficially), and he said he had never seen that version until a week ago! I told him that I have had a copy since last year, and he said "you should have brought it over". I replied that I didn't know he hadn't seen it. Oh well - there goes a trip to the yellow house wasted!

Ray stopped by Forry's on the way to the play and they had a nice visit. I'm glad for them - I've been trying to get him to pop round Forry's for about a month now. It does 'em both good.

This morning, I visited Forry and had him sign my copy of "Futuria Fantasia", and showed him a clip of the documentary I'm shooting about him. It was nice to see a genuine smile on the old face and a hint of humour therein.

Here's something that might knock the socks off somebody here on the board: before the play, I was milling around smartly taking a photo or two (sorry, I was to busy chatting up Mr B and others to remember to take very many photos), and I noticed a small film crew was setting up a digital camera, lighting, and sound equipment so to capture Mr B's opening speech just before the curtain went up. I says to myself, self, that dude directing the setup looks familiar. A few minutes later this guy next to me says, "do you know who that is?" Oh, my great gods, it was Irvin Kershner. Yes, Kershner, I kid you not! I wasted little time in traveling over to meet and greet with the director of "Never Say Never Again", and "The Empire Strikes Back". "I'm just watching a master work", said I. "Oh, this is easy stuff", said he.

Left the play when Mr B did, around 11.30, and drove back to the coast, or should I say floated back?

Nice night.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kershner, eh? That means one of two things: either this was a very important piece of filming (for what purpose, I wonder); or Mr K has fallen on hard times. Surely not the latter!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic:
Kershner occasionally stops by Ray's house for a chat. He's become a regular 'fan'!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Surely not the latter!

Surely!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Kershner occasionally stops by Ray's house for a chat. He's become a regular 'fan'!

Hence the meaning of the term "friends in high places"!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I just looked Irvin Kershner up on IMDB, and was surprised to find that he is 84 years old. No wonder we haven't seen many films from him lately.

Many years ago he was attached to the I, ROBOT project (the Harlan Ellison screenplay based on Asimov's book). For some reason, the project drifted away (only to re-surface in the totally unrelated Will Smith vehicle of recent times). That could have been one of the greatest SF movies of our age. I didn't know that he knew Mr B, until now.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070626/sc_space/craterc...unguskameteormystery

Thought this link was interesting to the familiar with the event. Note that it also killed hundreds of deer and everything else in the immediate area. [clicking on the Space.com icon is also interesting]

NOTE:
Doug Spaulding:
Concerning the Ackermansion. What I don't understand, and it'd be nice to find out why...that the city of Los Angeles never completed the deal to acquire Forry's collection. I recall Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, friend of Ray Bradbury, discussing acquiring the collection. But when I moved back to Chicago in 1993, I lost touch with what happened. Did once Bradley leave office the entire idea of having the city acquire the collection fall apart?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Concerning the Ackermansion. What I don't understand, and it'd be nice to find out why...that the city of Los Angeles never completed the deal to acquire Forry's collection. I recall Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, friend of Ray Bradbury, discussing acquiring the collection. But when I moved back to Chicago in 1993, I lost touch with what happened. Did once Bradley leave office the entire idea of having the city acquire the collection fall apart?

I don't know, but I'll put the question to 4E next time we meet.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

I have seen Mr. Kershner at, at least, the last five plays. I have to be honest and say that I never thought to ask who he was. Thank's Dough.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dough?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug: I guess thanks to your photo posting I'd be the doughy one.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, this could be a whole new game for us, comedy mis-spellings of Bradbury characters.

Maybe not, can't think of any others!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Philnic: Oh, they're there!!

I'm posting this solely as my 2900th post, on the 5th year to the day that I am here.

When you think of this new technology, of all these words, all these notes, all these comments, it pales considerably from previous generations where each note, each line of communcation was either on a piece of paper handed to someone, or sent by the post office or Western Union telegram. Now each post is an email, sent instantly across the world to a community of readers. Unfathomable. No one would have believed it just a couple decades ago.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now each post is an email, sent instantly across the world to a community of readers.

"I don't understand this whole thing about computers and the superhighway. Who wants to be in touch with all of those people?"

"Who do you want to talk to? All those morons who are living across the world somewhere? You don't even want to talk to them at home."

- Ray Bradbury

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Sorry - that should have gone under "Quote of the Day".

"Live Forever!"