Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Music Box Stairs (Personal Album)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
The Music Box Stairs
 Login/Join

by Doug Spaulding (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Had a few minutes between 4E and Ray Saturday, so I stopped by the Laurel & Hardy steps in Silver Lake.

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug. I wanted to go there earlier in the year, but my poor planning ruled it out.

I have to say, the steps aren't as impressive now as they were in the movie!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Thanks, Doug. I wanted to go there earlier in the year, but my poor planning ruled it out.

I grew-up and have lived within ten miles of the steps for 55 years and have yet to pay my respects. Shame on me.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah - that's Hollywood for you!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I grew-up and have lived within ten miles of the steps for 55 years and have yet to pay my respects. Shame on me.

I know! That's worse than living within five hours of Edinburgh and never visiting Scotland.

Sorry, I won't do it again.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

I know! That's worse than living within five hours of Edinburgh and never visiting Scotland.

Sorry, I won't do it again.

In Phil's defense, there is a language barrier. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...impressive in the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_48V-BwNws

I showed this very YouTube scene to Mr B a couple weeks ago on my iPhone. He was amazed - and laughed heartily!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
In Phil's defense, there is a language barrier.

You have me there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
When I was in the
neighborhood of nine or ten years old...
...my dad got rid of an old upright piano that was in the basement. The problem was, of course, getting the darned musical contraption up the stairs to the alley, or at least outdoors. The way the house was built, you walked out of the basement, you walked into a small part of the house, all fully enclosed (an ancient add on)...where concrete steps went to the right, and to the left to doors that went outside. My dad finally chose rightly, to the right. And all along the way going up, the corners broke and chipped away from the concrete stairs.

Years later, many many many years later, I had the opportunity to walk those same stairs. And there, as if carved forever, were the chips and corners carved away by the moving piano.

And so, I wonder, is it possible....that those Music Box steps have never been fully repaired (let's say some attempt was made)...not fully repaired and dings and cracks and missing corners of those stairs still remain from the original Laurel and Hardy piano rolling down from high up to the street level? W0W!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
The problem was, of course, getting the darned musical contraption up the stairs...

That's why you should always play a guitar rather than a piano.

quote:
My dad finally chose rightly, to the right.

Is this comment some thinly-veiled political point? (smiley face)

quote:
And so, I wonder, is it possible....that those Music Box steps have never been fully repaired?

Let's go find out. Meet me at 4E's Saturday morning at 11.30, and we'll go from there. It's in the neighbourhood. Then we'll go to King Kong at 2 pm.

Who's in?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug Spaulding, for posting the pictures! How does the neighborhood seem now? A few years ago I talked to someone who said he'd never take anyone there again, as the last time he went, a murder occurred just ten minutes before.

Thanks, fjp451, for posting the You Tube clip! Obviously, the stairs were much more photogenic without the buildings and railings on either side. Not only has that changed, but so have the rules on police brutality! It seems the police had quite a reputation back then that the LAPD tried hard to change in the 1960s. If you watch "Adam-12," some episodes deal with the old-timers adjusting to the new rules--about not intimidating or roughing up suspects.

Nard, thanks for the insight on moving a real piano. I was wondering how they made the box in the movie light enough to do all it did (including apparently run over Ollie) and heavy enough to survive going up and down those steps. Would a balsa wood crate survive such treatment?

Cori

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug and jkt: language barrier? I speak fluent Scots! Look: Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Nard: I've posted this link before, but here is a detailed instructional film showing precisely how to move a piano up the stairs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzEBLa3PPk

dandy: I was just about to suggest that the magic of movies is such that they didn't actually have to have a piano inside that crate. But you beat me to it.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
How does the neighborhood seem now? A few years ago I talked to someone who said he'd never take anyone there again, as the last time he went, a murder occurred just ten minutes before.

I was only there a few minutes, but it looked OK to me. No murders during the time I was there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug and jkt: language barrier? I speak fluent Scots! Look: Hoots mon, there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Phil: Post a picture of you eating Haggis and I'll believe it!

John King Tarpinian